Tems?

maximous

MK3 STUDENT
Mar 30, 2008
hendersonville
I am new to the mk3 scene, with a 87 white oem turbo car. I was wondering what the TEMS switch inside the car was for does it really change the ride height or just the strut or shock stiffnes and if so what kind of replacement would i get as i was thinking of lowering springs of about 1 to 1.5 inches for handling and the mean street look, any response would help

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Im pretty sure that the TEMS (toyota electronically modulated suspension) controls the stiffness of the car, depending on if you are on normal or sport, it changes the amount of chassis movement when turning, i think it changes according to acceleration and speed, the more fast you go, the stiffer the suspension gets, the TEMS acutators are like the volume control on your stereo, they turn the knob to what setting fits best on a certain speed, you may be able to get lowering springs but if you are going to get new shocks along with that, consider getting the ones with "TEMS compatible" or "adjustable suspension" for it to work on TEMS supras, hope that helps somehow

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
Richmond, Virginia, United States
just go ahead an eliminate the tems. my car us lowered 1.5 with kybs on the front. the rear is still tems but i want to do away with it eventually even if it means im riding rough all the time. tokico and tein make suspensiion parts that work with tems but it cost as much as the car itself to do it.:cry:

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
modmonster2008;1176601 said:
My friend has tokico illuminas installed on his mk2 supra and its pretty much "TEMS" alike cuhz the stiffness is adjustable, although manually :)

That's nothing like TEMS.

The TEMS system is actually pretty sweet. It's just a shame that there are no good shocks that work with it. I mean the illumina 2's are good for people who are still using stock spring rates. But for anything real, they suck.

But it has nothing to do with height adjustability. If you own a supra, why didn't you just push the button?

maximous

MK3 STUDENT
Mar 30, 2008
hendersonville
I havent pushed it cuz ive still got it torn down almost ready to go now and ill try it, was just sitting in the car when i got it and wondered about it but soon will experience it thanks for the input guys