Tems and sadness

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
I was working on the car today, trying to get my trunk latch to work properly and noticed the rear struts have two plugs not plugged in. I looked and the tems controllers aren't there. They are pricey on line. Just a sad day.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I have a known good set sitting on the car still. I had an HKS Tems controller on them and they were great. If you need them let me know. Me or the guy above will get them to you WAY CHEAPER then coilovers. plus it would be a good cheaper solution that works until you save up enough for coilovers.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Are you sure you have T.E.M.S. compatible shocks? The previous owner may have ditched the actuators due to non-compatible replacement shocks.

And I know I'm being a bit pedantic but we have shock absorbers, not struts. Thank god we don't have struts.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Haha no worries Dirgle. I'll be honest I'm not sure. The tems does show that its working, if I corner quick it lights all 3 up so I'm not sure whats in there. The guy who had it before me butchered the car. Instead of getting the proper clips for the moulding he screwed it in.... Guy never deserved such a car. Now he is in jail for his 6th dui.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Wow, poor car, be sure to give her the care she deserves. As for T.E.M.S there is no feedback system. So the system only indicates what it is telling the shocks to do, it has no way of knowing if they are there doing what the're supposed to. You can check if the shocks are compatible by looking at the very top of them. If the top mount bolt is solid they are non-compatible. If the top mount bolt is hollow with a small tab inside it then they are compatible. The actuators fit down inside the hole and turns the tab to change the dampening.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Yeah, I'm doing my best to take care of it. I stripped the interior, cleaned the hell out of it, sanded it down, patched up a 6 inch awful bondo job on the rear and still have quite a bit left to do. Right now its sitting mostly bondo/primer gray. I'm going to go back to the red that it is in my picture but the guy who did the last paint job had drips throughout the whole car, these drips were like a quarter inch deep so I'm sanding it down all over to start fresh. The worst part of the car is the driver rear quarter panel. It was in a wreck and there is a 1/2" drop in it that is going to take some major body work to fix. The trunk isn't lined up because of this so its been leaking like crazy. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the trunk and ran a catch/funnel to it to prevent any further rusting. I need to find a donor car and just saw the rear quarter panel out and transplant it to mine. One day:) Thats what projects are for.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Ron Jefferson;1865479 said:
Yeah, I'm doing my best to take care of it. I stripped the interior, cleaned the hell out of it, sanded it down, patched up a 6 inch awful bondo job on the rear and still have quite a bit left to do. Right now its sitting mostly bondo/primer gray. I'm going to go back to the red that it is in my picture but the guy who did the last paint job had drips throughout the whole car, these drips were like a quarter inch deep so I'm sanding it down all over to start fresh. The worst part of the car is the driver rear quarter panel. It was in a wreck and there is a 1/2" drop in it that is going to take some major body work to fix. The trunk isn't lined up because of this so its been leaking like crazy. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the trunk and ran a catch/funnel to it to prevent any further rusting. I need to find a donor car and just saw the rear quarter panel out and transplant it to mine. One day:) Thats what projects are for.
Not going to lie, you almost sound better off finding a good shell, and using your car as a donor. That sounds like a lot of body work.
-AM3

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Hell, come and buy my shell. Body is straight and paint is in great shape. If it isn't sold in about 2 weeks, it will be hitting the scrap yard. You will need shocks and brakes to move it. those are all being transplanted to the new one.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Ron Jefferson;1865468 said:
Now he is in jail for his 6th dui.
Im sorry for going OT but how does it take 6 DUI's to land someone in jail. Here in Ontario 1 DUI your fucked for life. Most inssurance companys wont touch you, and the ones that do its something like $20,000 a year. Plus you have to get a breathalizer lock installed in every vehicle you own at a cost $5,000 per vehicle.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ron Jefferson;1865479 said:

Another MkIII;1865513 said:
Not going to lie, you almost sound better off finding a good shell, and using your car as a donor. That sounds like a lot of body work.
-AM3

I agree with Another MKIII. My first Supra came with rear quarter damage, but the rest of it was in excellent condition, and the price was right so I bought it. I started looking for a donor car, planning to do the same thing you are. The one I found had a perfect body minus a crap ton of fast and furious stickers, but a trashed interior. It also came with a BHG and many questionable mods done to the motor. After much deliberation I decided to just swap the interior over to the donor car and call it good. It was bitter sweet though because the first supra was a targa top but the donor was hard top and I really, really wanted the targa top. Oh well. The car I got in the end was the best of both and in really good shape. I've done a rear quarter replacement on other cars and if your willing to tackle it I assume you have too. Even with all the right tools and quality welding equipment, it's hard. And I don't even like thinking what it would take on a car with the complex lines the Supra has there. The donor car route is highly recommended.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Maple191;1865524 said:
Im sorry for going OT but how does it take 6 DUI's to land someone in jail. Here in Ontario 1 DUI your fucked for life. Most inssurance companys wont touch you, and the ones that do its something like $20,000 a year. Plus you have to get a breathalizer lock installed in every vehicle you own at a cost $5,000 per vehicle.
Because America, unfortunately. Some places are more forgiving than others. Where I live, 5 or 6 before they finally hurt you with the fines and jail time isn't all that uncommon. Frankly, I say ONE is forgivable (with reasonably high fines, few days in jail to cement the idea of "don't do that ever again"), but if you're dumb enough to do it twice, I say you're unfit for public roads. :nono: