temp problem

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
mine was kind of doing that. After 30 min of highway it would creep up ever so slightly and then with the heater on it would go away. found a small hole in the radiator. replaced and now fixed.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
ATL88Supra;977435 said:
its not about warpage, its about smoothness, the mateing needs to be PERFECT thats why you deck the block....................... and if they did say that they dont know how to work on a import motor,

its most likely blowing air in to the water jacket there for pushing the coolent out and filling the system with air

The TSRM (Pg EM-74, Step 3) says max warpage for the block deck is .05m or .002".
Then it says if it exceeds the above, replace the block.

I wonder why the TSRM would say that ;)
Maybe it's because a warped block won't allow a HG to seal? That's exactly why...a flat block deck is even more important a factor for the seal of any MHG...RA only applies to a MHG.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
jdub;977478 said:
The TSRM (Pg EM-74, Step 3) says max warpage for the block deck is .05m or .002".
Then it says if it exceeds the above, replace the block.

I wonder why the TSRM would say that ;)
Maybe it's because a warped block won't allow a HG to seal? That's exactly why...a flat block deck is even more important a factor for the seal of any MHG...RA only applies to a MHG.

jdub, the chances his block was warped to start with is rare, but the very fact that he did not have his blocked decked be it for warpage or smoothness

is a dead give away on his problem, RA is being looked at sence he had a MHG put on
as stated here: "Originally Posted by s7mgte
well i just put a titan motorsports metal head gasket in with arp head studs and nuts about 600 miles ago.. and its been doing this like the whole time.. soo i dont think its that"

but as you said yes the block should be checked and i know this but what i ment in the org post was it was more about RA then warpage when moveing to MHG even those RA and warpage is one in a same it is the same thing really GAh i am confuseing my self now.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I understand. But, to say "its not about warpage, its about smoothness" is incorrect. Regardless of the odds, the block should be checked for warpage and that's for any HG...a warped deck will just about assure it's not going to seal.

Also...like I've said a couple times now (in different threads), get the damn coolant system pressure tested and do the NAPA block test. That way we can all stop guessing! ;)

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
jdub;977492 said:
I understand. But, to say "its not about warpage, its about smoothness" is incorrect. Regardless of the odds, the block should be checked for warpage and that's for any HG...a warped deck will just about assure it's not going to seal.

Also...like I've said a couple times now (in different threads), get the damn coolant system pressure tested and do the NAPA block test. That way we can all stop guessing! ;)
im getting the napa block tester tomorrow so ill let everyone know.. haha.. also smoothness.. it was very smooth i had the air compresser powered whiz wheel on it. she was shining before i put it on. im hoping for the best.. and also i forogt to say this. ive heard from people who knoew the kid who had my supra before me. they said it had coolant problems so i wonder.. hmm?

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
jdub;977957 said:
You used a rotary abrasive to clean the block deck?

:eek3:
haaa yess that is exactly what i used to clean the block deck to clean off all the pieces and particals of the cometic one.. trust me though it was very smooth..

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dude...that is not good. It may look smooth, but you induced "waves" in the block deck. It only takes 1 or 2 thou of material removal in any one area to cause the HG (especially a MHG) not to seal.

There is no way that block deck is flat. Like I said before, flatness is just as or more important than smoothness for a MHG to seal. You very likely FUBAR'ed the block.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I didnt see that you had checked the wire that connects to the coolant temp sensor on your thermostat housing. If you are lucky it is just loose and grounding out on occasion and causing the indication to go full hot.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
jdub;978453 said:
Dude...that is not good. It may look smooth, but you induced "waves" in the block deck. It only takes 1 or 2 thou of material removal in any one area to cause the HG (especially a MHG) not to seal.

There is no way that block deck is flat. Like I said before, flatness is just as or more important than smoothness for a MHG to seal. You very likely FUBAR'ed the block.
nope haha no blown head gasket. its fixed now with no overheating. i had the heater core by passed with a hose and hose adapters i hooked up because i thought the heater core was busted.. i hooked it back up today normal. and now it is perfect. temp gauge stays right where it should the whole time. maybe it was something with the pressure or something.