Temp gauge acting retarded, need help...

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
Alright guys, so I'm having an issue with my temp gauge going up all the way past hot and just sitting there, iv done everything I can think of to fix the problem, I've replaced the thermostat, burped the system over 3 times, checked all the wires connected to the tstat housing, respliced any that were old, frayed, or that had ripped apart and made good connections. Now when I start the car and let it idle for about 30 seconds the gauge just rises right up past hot and sits there, the car itself isn't overheating because the rad hose gets tight when the car actually gets to opperating temperature, which means the thermostat is working and the engine is cool.... has anyone ever experianced this before and if so how do I fix the problem? I've exhausted all other means.

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
also after the gauge goes up like that i will turn the car off and leave the key in start position and instead of the needle slowly going down as it reads the engine cooling, it still just sits above hot until i take the key completely out of the ignition, then it just drops back down the below cool, then if i turn the key back to the start position it shoots right back up and sits there... i have no idea what could be causing this and i really need help...

also if i unplug the wire that connects to the temp sensor in the tstat housing the gauge doesnt work at all, but when i plug it back in it shoots all the way up even if the car isnt running... which leads me to believe its something in the wiring or that the temp sensor has gone bad, any thoughts on that?

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
When I unplug the wire and turn on the ignition the gauge doesn't move at all, but I replace the temp sensor last night and it seems to be working, I'm gonna check it again tonight and if it works, awesome, if it doesn't I then at least know its somthing in the wiring or gauge, which means I can just connect an aftermarket guage and use it from now on, I will let you guys know, thanks for the help, it was much appriciated

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Well I installed a new after market gauge and that fixed the problem, so it was something in the wiring or the gauge itself that caused it to act up, now im just waiting on the new fan shroud and the new afm electronics to get here and hopefully the car will be cruising correctly in no time, thanks for the help guys