Temp detect switch placement...

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Anybody drill and tap this location on the water neck for a sensor/sender?

If so, did you have any clearance issues w/ the t-stat?

I am in the process of wiring up my SPAL fan controller, and I need to decide on where to place the temp sender. I have read that pre t-stat is the best place to do so rather than post.....(AKA BVSV port).....

Thanks in advance.

B.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Does the controller use a small like 1/8NPT sensor or does it use the big whopper that comes with a normal relay kit? A small sensor may fit in there, you'll be contending with the PS reservoir bracket, 2 other sensors, and the thermostat inside.

Whether or not you wire a fan probe pre or post thermostat is irrelevant IMO. If the thermostat is stuck closed, and the fan kicks in, it isn't going to do a damn thing to cool the engine down as there is no heat being passed to the radiator. Plus you don't want any significant cooling before the thermostat opens, so mounting the sensor pre thermostat - unless it's very easy - isn't going to gain you anything.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
3/8" sensor.

As far as clearing the thermostat, it looks really close.

I'm using a n/a p/s resovoir :) No worries there.

I may just go ahead and mount it in an empty port where the BVSV was. I'm using a 180* thermostat instead of the 190* so it will actually open a little sooner.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
I have mine installed on the water neck. Depending on the year of your car, you may have a spare hole that is plugged up. Remove plug and use. One problem, the sensor is 1/4-18NPT, you will need to use the 3/8 adapter. Our car is threaded with 3/8BSP(British Pipe Thread). The adapter will fit, but real tight and it won't go all the way in. It works, but you will need to seal the thread with high temp sealant or teflon tape. Mine is an 87 Turbo and the only thing that is on the water neck is the BVSV Sensor, I know the other years that they have more sensor on the water neck.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
bryanintexas;1370287 said:
3/8" sensor.

As far as clearing the thermostat, it looks really close.

I'm using a n/a p/s resovoir :) No worries there.

I may just go ahead and mount it in an empty port where the BVSV was. I'm using a 180* thermostat instead of the 190* so it will actually open a little sooner.

OK, so it's similar to the form factor of my SPAL relay kit. I used the BVSV port for mine, but like reydio mentioned, the threads are different. In one of my less proud moments I used some high temp sealer, and just torqued it down quite hard. Probably went in about 3 threads but it has been dry and tight for a few years now, so it's a reasonably safe bet you'd have the same outcome.