Tell me sumn about rap...

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
mainstream rap = gay. Its popular because of kids they don't listen to the song just the beat.

and the shit is good for parties thats about it

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Dirgle said:
I prefer artists that have a larger vocabulary than your average 3rd grader. Which is sadly in the world of Rap is becoming less and less as the years go on.
Non-the-less a few do still exist, so I cling onto a little hope.

That's funny - during "Big Pimpin'" by Jay-Z you hear "Read a book, you illiterate son of a bitch, and step up your vocab". I laugh on the inside when I hear that part of that song.

Almost anytime I switch to the local pop/rap station, I hear something that is acceptable, followed by several songs that are not. I don't understand how these things gather such a following! It's extremely repetitive and annoying!

"This is why I'm hot. This is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot. This is why you not..."
"Party like a rock.. party like a rockstar. Party like a rock.. party like a rockstar."
Yes, those lines have made insane amounts of money.

sleepy8602

Supra fiend
Mar 14, 2007
D-Town,Tx
Fuzz420 said:
Since everyone is naming some of their famous artist ill just drop 1 name. Dj Screw, R.i.P. but the screw movement still lives on

What you know about DJ Screw:wave:

Boss Hogg Outlawz FTW

Slim Thug and Killa Kyleon FTW

"SwishaHouse presents: Slim Thug" is one of the best underground you will ever hear

pm me if interested

Long live the screw movement:sonic:

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
Mk3runner said:
nobody say shit but Tech n9ne.. nobody ever seems to know about him but has his own style and doesn't sound like shit. I like his stuff.. a mixture of rock and rap.

Hes good to.. very different

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
sleepy8602 said:
What you know about DJ Screw:wave:

Boss Hogg Outlawz FTW

Slim Thug and Killa Kyleon FTW

"SwishaHouse presents: Slim Thug" is one of the best underground you will ever hear

pm me if interested

Long live the screw movement:sonic:
I know all about the Late Great Robert Davis Jr.
Speakin of Boss Hogg Outlawz i got there new mixtape as always:VA-Boss_Hogg_Outlawz-Still_On_Tha_Grind_2K7-2CD-(Bootleg)-2007-

Oh yea i know about all that stuff, i see your from d-town how come you dont mention d.s.r ;) big tuck, tumzilla, fat b.

Swishahouse- archie lee, coota bang, young redd (got their new cd too ;)

I even mess with the color changin click, grit boys, botany boys, chingo bling, spm

I mess with texas music :biglaugh:

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Although there has been an occasional rap song that caught my attention over the years I can't say I've ever been a fan, and the baggy clothes...when is that fad gonna blow over?

My issue is this...

I've been a musician since I was 6. I play a couple different instruments. It takes an incredible amount of dedication to become proficient on an instrument.

These so called "Rap Artisis" tend to use all electronic rythms and sounds, and they are BASIC at best.

I believe rap music is at least somewhat responsible for the dumbing down of not only music, but youths as well.

I remember being 12 and listening to John Bonham, Kieth Moon and Buddy Rich (to name a few) trying to decipher how they do what they do, and recreate it. I've spent countless hours listening to MUSICIANS and learning from them. I still do.

Nowadays, kids just bop their heads to the same repeated rythms and melody lines with lyrics that were stolen from a 1st graders book report.

For those of you who appreciate Musicianship...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

Rant Complete :)

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
mainstream rap is simplistic, that's why it's popular. i have friends that make electronic music and it's not as easy as it seems.

i thought the same way before i tried it myself. you still need to have an ear for music and it still takes time to make it good. my friend brian spent thousands of hours on his cd.

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
thesandymancan said:
mainstream rap is simplistic, that's why it's popular. i have friends that make electronic music and it's not as easy as it seems.

i thought the same way before i tried it myself. you still need to have an ear for music and it still takes time to make it good. my friend brian spent thousands of hours on his cd.

It really depends on the software and what type of electronic music you are producing. Techno and house are fairly simple with the right combination of gear and/or software. I prefer to make sounds as original as possible and avoid using premade loops altogether. Other electronic music that skillfully combines original sounds, synths, and beats with real instruments can be extremely complicated to produce. Two great examples would be Shpongle and Infected Mushroom.

Sorry for the thread jack. Back on topic...

Strait 666

0-60 in 6.66 sec.
Jun 14, 2007
New Jersey
i rap myself. i was thinking of trying to make a quick buck off it too maybe some fame and some honeys, but i can't think of any good mindless phrases to repeat, since i already know lyrical rap doesnt sell. i been looking on all different kinds of energy drink cans for sayings, but the only good one has already been done. any ideas?

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
Anth505 said:
Although there has been an occasional rap song that caught my attention over the years I can't say I've ever been a fan, and the baggy clothes...when is that fad gonna blow over?

My issue is this...

I've been a musician since I was 6. I play a couple different instruments. It takes an incredible amount of dedication to become proficient on an instrument.

These so called "Rap Artisis" tend to use all electronic rythms and sounds, and they are BASIC at best.

I believe rap music is at least somewhat responsible for the dumbing down of not only music, but youths as well.

I remember being 12 and listening to John Bonham, Kieth Moon and Buddy Rich (to name a few) trying to decipher how they do what they do, and recreate it. I've spent countless hours listening to MUSICIANS and learning from them. I still do.

Nowadays, kids just bop their heads to the same repeated rythms and melody lines with lyrics that were stolen from a 1st graders book report.

Yea and or your just homo :sarcasm:

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Anth505 said:

My issue is this...

That is the dumbest shit I've heard.
Omg rap makes everyone dumb. You sure you haven't been listening to this "dumbing down" music?

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I'm with Anth505 all the way on this one! Rap...unequivocally, hands down, the worst "music" (term used lightly!) this planet has ever produced. I don't know what's worse? That people actually produce this crap? Or, that idiots actually waste money on it?!:aigo:

I never allowed it in my house when my son was growing up. Now, he's an adult, and can't stand it either!
Thank God for that!!!

Post note: That artist in his post has more talent in his pinky finger, than all the rap "artists", in the whole world!

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
TurboWarrior said:
I like rap. Stuff I grew up with. Usually not stuff on the radio.

Lil jon absolutley destroyed hip hop completely!

Trying to figure this out.(?) What exactly do you like about it? Is it that it's usually obscene? Or is it that it denegrates women, and glorifies violence? Or, is it the way it shows just how stupid people can be, by purchasing...well, "CRAP"!???
Please explain.

Last edited:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I swear watching BET doesn't even keep me updated on the new "words" anymore.. I need to buy a Ebonics dictionary!