Tell me more about GMC Typhoon...

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
They are quite impressive vehicles IMO; it was definitely something out of the box for GM. There is also the Typhoon's counter-part the Syclone which is basically the same package in pick-up form. The 4.3 v6 definitely had plenty of potential the only real weak point of the vehicles were the 700r4's they adapted for AWD in both Typhoon an Syclone. Both of them are quite rare and just fun to drive, I have had the pleasure of driving a few of them. If I ever get the chance and find a nice specimen, its definitely coming home with me and I'm putting it right next to the supra.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind they're not that fast from a roll, they depend on the holeshot to win. Still pretty cool, though you could make your own just better (any 4x4 blazer + oldsmobile bravada AWD transfer case + grand national motor)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1868227 said:
Have a look under a GTO I believe they all got the AWD floorpan ;)
I see what you're suggesting... Heh, could be interesting to build one of those up, surprise a few people in inclement weather situations haha.

As for the Typhoon, for its time, I'm sure they were quite impressive. Your average GM v8 back then was what, around 220hp? 275hp-300hp if the LT1 was out by then, I forget...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well I did turn 50 earlier this month ;)

Figured you wanted something V8/AWD/LS powered,

Instead of 2 ton of ugly I suggested the GTO, as I said both my cars are built on this platform one is a wagon the other a Ute.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
50 huh? Man... I would have thought you were older given all you've achieved. No offense man, you're barely old enough to be my dad.

Wanna adopt a lovable kid? :naughty:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1868992 said:
50 huh? Man... I would have thought you were older given all you've achieved. No offense man, you're barely old enough to be my dad.

Wanna adopt a lovable kid? :naughty:
LMAO you wouldn't believe how often I get asked this Brad :D!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd believe it. Between the weather and the "garage" you are blessed to enjoy, I wouldn't be surprised at all. If not for what you guys call "spiders" (and the rest of us call demons), I might even be a bit jealous haha. :p

Edit: Just realized how "loveable kid" with the "naughty" smiley might come across. Don't tell Shaeff, wherever he is. :rofl:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, it's all about the holeshot :) Foot on brake, give it a little gas to build boost from the torque converter, let off brake and floor the gas and it just takes off.

In the end, it's still an S-10 pos... It's kinda like the neon and SRT-4...yet worse.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RazoE;1869782 said:
I love them.

Beat an AT NSX and was (bearly) beaten by a 6-speed Supra RZ TT
Not surprised at the NSX losing with the auto trans... the Supra driver kinda sucks though, those were 13 second cars from the factory. :nono: That said, Astro van in Japan? I would LOVE to see what they would make of one of those considering what they do to some of the vans I've seen...

Poodles;1869842 said:
In the end, it's still an S-10 pos... It's kinda like the neon and SRT-4...yet worse.
I'd say better. You can't carry as much in the Neon. :p