Tell me if you get this. (kinda long)

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Alright.. I grounded the coilpack, I ran a permanent wire from the stock location on the coil where it grounds, to a spot a lil farther away and cleaner. It helped for a lil while, It'll start up every time now.. It still eventually runs crappy.

Heres what i noticed, When i first start it, it'll run pretty good, but eventually it'll start running crappy, so i popped the hood, and put my extra cam on the gas pedal to keep it running, under the engine bay theres exhaust comming out from under the turbo heat shield, I notice it alot more when I rev it up. It also smells extremely rich, i can actually smell unburnt fuel. Could there be an exhaust leak somewhere between the turbo and the o2 sensor causing it to run this bad?
Also, a lil bit ago i took it around the block a few times, until it started runnign crappy, enough for the engine to warm up. I put my hand on the intake manifold to lean over it and it was ice cold! none of the IC pipes were this cold, it felt like it was in the freezer for a minute or two.. and the engine was at normal temp (1/4 up the temp gauge). After it cools off im gonna pull the heatshield off the turbo and give a lil look see whats down there.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
new exhaust manifold gasket.
Well, tighten it first. but yes. it can make your car run like shyte.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I said it earlier and I'll say it again. You need to clean and tighten everything. In fact now that I've read your posts lets include your intake and exhaust manifolds too. Exhaust and Intake leaks will kill and I mean kill your engines performance. Also, if it's cold out and you have a big enough exhaust leak you run the risk of sticking a valve. Set some time aside, be patient and just go through everything...connections, manifold bolts, (maybe a head retorque) everything or you are just going to continue to have these problems.

Oh and by the way I wouldn't even consider doing a 1jz swap untill you get this motor under control. With all due respect if you can't deal with this motor you are going to be suicidal with a 1jz.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
suprabad said:
Oh and by the way I wouldn't even consider doing a 1jz swap untill you get this motor under control. With all due respect if you can't deal with this motor you are going to be suicidal with a 1jz.

..especially when it comes to getting new parts.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
So, i searched back to an older thread, and.. a guy had the same problems as me.. He fiddled around with the injector clips, I went out an did the same thing.. it did two things, at first it improved the problem.. 100%.. than as i fiddled more it cut the car off.. with some more fiddling it started, but ran like ass.

I went through, all bolts on the exhaust manifold/turbo are tight, intake manifold is tight. Tomorrow im going to pick up a set of plugs, fuel injector cleaner, run it through with a fresh tank of gas.. I noticed it started doing this a bit after the last fillup..But anyway, i'll clean up the injector connections, Could i just need new injectors?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
It's certainly possible. Bad injectors will make it run like crap. Have you given it the old screw driver test yet? Put a screwdriver to the injector and your ear to the screwdriver and listen to each injector to see If :
A. it's clicking at all
B. one or more injectors sounds different then the other injectors (that's bad)
C. one or more injectors sounds weak or works intermittantly (also bad)
Also, I understand you can get them professionally cleaned and calibrated, but I just get new ones so I don't know exactly what the deal is with that.