tell me about the MAFT

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i am thinking about going MAFT

what are the advantages of this?? and to be sure all i need is the MAFT device and a GM sensor right??

anyone running it? pics?

john

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm running it and i love it, i have it blow through mode. I'll have to get some pics.

advantages:
tunable
better MPG
atmosphere vented Bov
MAF is cheaper than stock AFM, and more durable.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
MAFT is a great little box - essentially allows you to replace the Lexus AFM / 550cc injector setup that was pioneered back in the early 90s. Costs less and has more functionality to boot.

It works as a simple AFR computer - meaning that if you get a good tuner, you won't need an SAFC or EManage to get a decent AFR. Of course, anyone going for over 400 rwhp should likely get one anyhow, as a percent off the wrong way on a 600hp engine can cause lots of damage, and this isn't as accurate as a full blown SAFC. But still, it's nice functionality to have for free!

It can be run in suck through or blow through mode, allows you to tune your fuel delivery at WOT, uses a much cheaper air flow sensor than stock, doesn't restrict incoming air as much as the stock AFM, and allows you to run a $25 K&N intake filter instead of shelling out $200 for the kit.

What's not to like? :)

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
GrimJack said:
Of course, anyone going for over 400 rwhp should likely get one anyhow, as a percent off the wrong way on a 600hp engine can cause lots of damage, and this isn't as accurate as a full blown SAFC. But still, it's nice functionality to have for free!

this is the first i have heard of this... I was thinking of replacing my lex afm with this setup. I'm alraedy near 400whp, w/o an SAFC, just upgraded fuel maps from Reg Reimer..... so maybe I should just go the SAFC route? I really like the AFM tracking this unit does and wanted it for that mostly to avoid running lean at WOT.

Isn't Malloynx running the MAFT-PRO sans SAFC to over 550hp?

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
the maft does not do a/f tracking
that is the maft-pro and it is a more complete unit that does what the safc does and more

i'm assuming you meant a/f tracking - "AFM tracking"

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
isnms said:
the maft does not do a/f tracking
that is the maft-pro and it is a more complete unit that does what the safc does and more

i'm assuming you meant a/f tracking - "AFM tracking"

yes that is what I meant, but saying MAFT is an SAFC and more doesn't address Grim's comments that it really isn't as good as having an SAFC, which is what my question was

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
Grim, i'm glad you know so much about EVERYTHING...hehe what is the P/N on that $25 filter??

i will be running blow thru as i have a TRUST/Greddy Type-S and do not plan to recirc. so this is something i will want to tune on a dyno?? if so the settings on your install page are basiclly to leave it where it was before it was installed right? so i can install, then drive to the dyno...

john

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't have the part number, sorry. I just went into the parts place with my GM MAF sensor in hand and opened boxes until I found one that fit.

You should be able to do the initial setup and then drive on it in blow through mode - the initial tuning is usually done with a digital voltmeter. You will need a wideband O2 sensor to tune WOT, so stay off the throttle until you get that done, either on a dyno or even on the road, if you know someone with a portable wideband.

One thing to note - running with it setup in blow through mode often makes for an odd initial setup, so don't be surprised if you end up with different settings after some tuning.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
So do you still need the 550cc injectors to keep the A/F ratio the same or will the MAFT allow you to use 440 and stay on the rich side? I am running around 15 psi and would like to tune that with the MAFT.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You can run 440 injectors safely up to just shy of 400 hp at the wheels as long as your pump can supply the fuel. Your fuel pump will more than likely choke long before you run out of injector pulse.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i plan to buy a wideband....eventually, so i will probably just go to a dyno and have it tuned

the shop i would go to is....hmm 40+ miles from my house. should i take back roads and go easy on it or should i try to do the install at a friends house that is closer.

john

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I agree with Grim, I drove my car un-tuned for WOT for 3 or 4 months, Its very easy, even on the highway. For daily driving I never, ever got over 32% throttle.