telescopic my ass help!

coltorosa

Aug 26, 2009
Vancouver island B.C.
hey guys yesterday i became the proud owner of a low km turbo targa leather interior 87 coming from the 82 supra when i got in i was amazed at the interior so many buttons and features i saw there were three levers on the steering console and theres a sticker that shows the one closest to the wheel on the bottom is for telescopeing the wheel but i released the lever and my wheel wouldnt move anything i should be doing??? tried holding the brake turning ignition on all sorts of stuff but it wont budge ??? im confused anyone else have this issue?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Be careful removing the surround. The threaded screw receiver ends tend to crack.

BTW, they are sometimes hard to move. Apply a little force in both directions, there's no telling what position you are in. It may be all the way out or in.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, don't mess with the surrounds they like to break LOL

More than likely it's never been moved from it's current position, so it might takes some persuasion...

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
When I had my interior out, I noticed that the telescopic function of the steering wheel wasn't working properly. It was extrememly hard to push/pull back and forth. I could barely get it to move. I honestly thought I was going to bend the wheel at one point. Mind you the vehicle was sitting around outside for years, so the humidity cycles took their toll and light surface rust formed around the movable cylinder. I simply lubed the inner cylinder with some water-proof bearing grease. I was orginally going to use a universal synthetic lubricant, but I didn't want the wheel to be too easy to move. After applying the grease and push/pulling the wheel back and forth a few times, full functionality was restored.

The movement is smooth as butter now and that grease aint going nowhere. :)

Unfortunately, the surrounds will need to be removed. As others have mentioned, the plastic bolt holes strip/break extremely easily. I went through 3 sets. If you break yours, hit me up. As I have several unbroken tops and bottoms laying around.

Also, I'd be careful throwing the phrase "telescopic my ass" around; if you know what I mean. ;)

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
I didn't realize this feature was on my car. Had to run out to the garage and try it out. Getting the lever to flip down was the hardest part. The wheel moved in and out with no problem!