Tein vs Tein vs Wallet

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So I've been looking at various suspension options out there since I plan on upgrading my VERY worn out original setup very soon, and I've come across something confusing...

The Tein SS set, which is known to be some of the better stuff out there, is available online (ebay) new, for about $1k, shipped.
The Tein Flex set, which is still great stuff, but less stiff and (in my understanding), less desirable, sells on ebay for closer to $1.4k shipped.

Why would the SS cost less than the Flex? What am I missing here?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Tein SS is the "Super Street" line. The SS can come with or without pillowball mounts. Considering the price difference, you're probably looking at the ones that come without. The ones that come with them are within a few dollars of the Flex when it comes to MSRP.

The Flex line always comes with pillowball mounts. The Flex are EDFC compatible and have a much broader ride height adjustment as well as higher spring rates and more aggressive shock valving. You can also preload the springs with the Flex.

I've got a set of Flex on the hardtop MKIV, they work well for me.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Mike, not that I'm dumb enough to argue with you, but Tein's web page contradicts some of what you said. According to their page, the SS has high springs rates, and both are EDFC compatible.

Linky here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1826685 said:
I've got a set of Flex on the hardtop MKIV, they work well for me.
I like how you have to specify... do you have one of each? :p

Always did like the idea of the EFDC setup, but never wanted to pay that much when I've already got something I can live with. Just seemed cool, like a TEMS setup that has better spring rates.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Harder springs does not make it "better". The flex are a more premium coilover. I have the SS and i cant say that i like them.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Neodeuccio;1826688 said:
Mike, not that I'm dumb enough to argue with you

Actually I'd call you dumb if you didn't argue with me when I'm clearly wrong.

Neodeuccio;1826688 said:
but Tein's web page contradicts some of what you said. According to their page, the SS has high springs rates, and both are EDFC compatible.

Back when I was a dealer only the Flex were EDFC compatible if I recall correctly, I guess that's changed.

Wow that's stupid high spring rate on the SS. They have changed the rates a lot over the years it appears. They must ride like complete shit on the street. It kind of baffles me that they'd run a rate like that on a setup they are calling a "Street" setup. What's even more bizarre is the current rates are 100% identical between the Flex & SS for the MKIV, but they are wildy different for the MKIII.

mecevans;1826707 said:
Harder springs does not make it "better". The flex are a more premium coilover. I have the SS and i cant say that i like them.

I'll bet they ride pretty harsh.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Neodeuccio;1826688 said:
Mike, not that I'm dumb enough to argue with you

Actually I'd call you dumb if you didn't argue with me when I'm clearly wrong.

Neodeuccio;1826688 said:
but Tein's web page contradicts some of what you said. According to their page, the SS has high springs rates, and both are EDFC compatible.

Back when I was a dealer only the Flex were EDFC compatible if I recall correctly, I guess that's changed.

Wow that's stupid high spring rate on the SS. They have changed the rates a lot over the years it appears. They must ride like complete shit on the street. It kind of baffles me that they'd run a rate like that on a setup they are calling a "Street" setup. What's even more bizarre is the current rates are 100% identical between the Flex & SS for the MKIV, but they are wildy different for the MKIII.

mecevans;1826707 said:

I'll bet they ride pretty harsh.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here is my personal experience.

I have the SS on a stock suspension car and it drove great. It took some time to adjust the dampening but it handles very well on the street and I put it through some good turns on the parkway. It is not bump friendly. I can say it will be even more firm if you add the poly suspension upgrades.

The flex has on the fly adjustability which is nice for when you want comfort or stiff suspension.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IBoughtASupra;1826738 said:
Here is my personal experience.

I have the SS on a stock suspension car and it drove great. It took some time to adjust the dampening but it handles very well on the street and I put it through some good turns on the parkway. It is not bump friendly. I can say it will be even more firm if you add the poly suspension upgrades.

The flex has on the fly adjustability which is nice for when you want comfort or stiff suspension.
Ah, but do you have the 'new' SS, or the 'old' one? I have the old setup, the spring rates are fine.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1826768 said:
Ah, but do you have the 'new' SS, or the 'old' one? I have the old setup, the spring rates are fine.

Yea, it appears Tein has made some changes over the years. I'll dig around and see if I have any of my dealer materials from back then. Might be interesting to see how much the specs have changed over time for each model.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1826768 said:

Yea, it appears Tein has made some changes over the years. I'll dig around and see if I have any of my dealer materials from back then. Might be interesting to see how much the specs have changed over time for each model.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
GrimJack;1826768 said:

Has to be the old one because a friend of mine just got his and his car rides really harsh over bumps on our NY roads.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Wonder why they would change the spring rates for the same line of suspension once it's designed. Were the old spring rates too soft for the weight of the Mk3?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
See, that seems like a good compromise Grim, as the stock suspension, while certainly capable, is a bit scary at speed. Every aftermarket spring I've ridden/drove in seems like it's the complete opposite. NO body roll, but a VERY stiff ride. How hard is it to design a semi-comfortable, yet compliant suspension. Eventually my kidneys will say no to 14k rates. :p

Hell, I'd be happy as long as I could get something with more travel... my car has a bad habit of jumping (or at least trying to) on fairly sharp crests.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Well, long story short, I ended up going with Illumina's and Intrax Springs. It may not be the best option, but it's a good option in the price range I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the info though!

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Neodeuccio;1827621 said:
Well, long story short, I ended up going with Illumina's and Intrax Springs. It may not be the best option, but it's a good option in the price range I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the info though!

DAMN IT! The company I ordered my springs from, who assured me this morning that they had them in stock, emailed me to tell me they couldn't get the springs! So where I originally wanted RS*R's and couldn't get them, now I can't get my second choice either!