Teflon on NPT...?

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Putting on my oil cooler soon, and need to buy some NPT-->AN fittings. First off if anyone knows a good place to pick 'em up or has spares lying around, I need some, thanks. Secondly, I know teflon tape does NOT go on AN due to the flare, but what about NPT? If it's a dumb question I don't care what you call me just answer the question that's all :1zhelp: Thanks!

-J

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sure, you can use teflon tape on NPT if you'd like. Or use some other method such as an anaerobic sealeant. NPT are tapered so don't tighten them too far or you'll spilt the fitting they're going into.

Last edited:

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
Yes use teflon on the npt threads. I prefer to use Permatex liquid thread sealant. It has teflon in it. Hope that helps.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
1/2 NPT > -10AN, straight if it's all you got, if not... well, PM me please I've got quite a few requests, thanks =)

-J

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You can pick up a tube of teflon paste at ACE Hardware...worked well on my oil fittings.

diy guy

Jan 25, 2006
dallas
i dont see a pm button, maybe you have to have a certain amount of posts to pm?

so just a male to male right?

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
jbsupra89t said:
1/2 NPT > -10AN, straight if it's all you got, if not... well, PM me please I've got quite a few requests, thanks =)

-J

Summit Racing has every fitting know to man. :) And they ship quickly, or just visit their store, closest to you is in Ohio I believe.

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
jbsupra89t said:

-J

I have some male 1/2npt to -10an male adapters layin around if your interested. Come pick them up and they are yours free.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Oh really, well thanks but the guy who sold me the cooler just sold me lines and most all the fittings for a decent price, but if I need 'em I'll let you know. Whereabouts in NJ are you?

-J

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
jbsupra89t said:
Oh really, well thanks but the guy who sold me the cooler just sold me lines and most all the fittings for a decent price, but if I need 'em I'll let you know. Whereabouts in NJ are you?

-J

Im in Scotch Plains. Union County

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Hm no shit that's not too far, I'll let you know if I need any of them, thanks!

-J

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Teflon Tape is what I prefer. Only time it's not good to use if your using some kind of micronic filter that small peices could come loose and plug it up. Most users of NPT use the tape, just remember that since there's Teflon in between the threads you DON"T tighten it till it can't tighten any more. One other thing to know is the right direction to wrap it in, wrap it clockwise so that as your screwing in the fitting in will easily go into the female end and not try and unravel as it's screw in.
Rick

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
KINGPIN33 said:
Would JB weld work?
If you don't want to take it apart again it should be fine, even Loctite 262 can bond strong enough to remove the threads in Aluminium parts when you go to undo them.

Teflon Tape or Teflon in a tube is the best bet for this job.
(I personally still use Tape as I find the splooge tends to squeeze out and make a mess)