Tec 3 ?

ImCressid

Dec 15, 2009
newyork
Quick Question is there any way to run a factory 7mgte coilpacks with the tec 3. Or do I have to change everything to GM Sensors

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You can make anything work with anything if you want to put enough time/money/effort into it, but I have to ask WHY? If you're trying to "save money" the TEC3 is not the ECU for you.

Which TEC3 do you have? The TEC3, TEC3 6/12, or the new TEC3r? If you've got either of the latter two, why would you bother with waste spark when you can drive individual coils for each cylinder?

The TEC3 DFU's are plug and play, are impedance matched to the TEC3 and are really what make the TEC3 worth owning. It's one of the most precise (and tunable) ignition systems out there.

You're still going to have to use all GM sensors even if you try to drive 7M coil packs.

What are you going to use for a crank trigger?

ImCressid

Dec 15, 2009
newyork
I have a Cressida with a gte swap......that I didnt start. I was running thru the wiring and noticed wires either disconnected or burned and its keeping the car from running. So instead of the headache Im just going standalone. No MAF and no CPS. Plus if I go 2j I can still use it. Its a first gen Tec 3 for $500 with the harness. Crank trigger I havent decided yet. If there is another option Im all ears, i also thought about the SDS system but this is cheaper right now

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Crank triggers?

With the Tec3/Tec3r/ Tec-GT you have only ONE option for crank trigger.

60-2 wheel custom fitted to crank, cam, cps etc.

it won't be cheaper after you get all the GM sensors.

Mike (Supracentral) is correct. The Tec system REQUIRE the use of GM sensors for everything. The OEM toyota sensors won't work unless you want to have readings that are 100% incorrect. Then the other question is, who will do the tuning? If this is your first time tuning... you will be in for a world of hurt man. Price is not just the system.

The Tec3 requires the following (these are not optional).

MAP pressure sensor
Coolant Temp (GM)
Air Temp (GM)
Harness...
60-2 crank trigger wheel (mounting is additional expense).
pay for tuning.

you will be lucky to get it running for less than $2k! No, that is not a joke.

ImCressid

Dec 15, 2009
newyork
I will not be tuning it myself, this is my first standalone and the only reason I got it was because of the price. If there is another better (cheaper) option Im would like to know what it is