TD06-20G Actuator Options

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Im wondering if there are any other options as far as wastegate acutators go for the 20G? For example would a 14B actuator with some modification of course fit a 20G and work properly. I would prefer to close my flapper door again without having to worry about the GReddy wastegate spooling straight to 14psi resulting in my hitting fuel cut. Ive heard the 14B wastegate opens at 8-10psi and this would work better for me. Right now i adjusted the GReddy actuator and made the arm longer so the flapper door is cracked open slightly however this really killed my spool time, and affected how much boost is made 1st and 2nd gear (im automatic) I know most would say upgrade the fuel but i would still like to be able to adjust the boost from a 8-10psi starting point. Help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Do you have any pictures of your tdo6 actuator? Reason asking: I think you're on the right track wanting to use a tdo4 actuator.

Also, check out atp turbo online. They may / may not have a Garrett style actuator that could work for you with a bracket or two.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
MDCmotorsports;1610668 said:
Do you have any pictures of your tdo6 actuator? Reason asking: I think you're on the right track wanting to use a tdo4 actuator.

Also, check out atp turbo online. They may / may not have a Garrett style actuator that could work for you with a bracket or two.

TD06 actuator on the right
on the left is a Replacement TD06 14psi wastegate (universal)

p1610686_1.jpg

I checked out the website this looks promising, wondering how i can bend it like my other one though. Hmmm..

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...p&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-011B&Category_Code=WGT

i actually have a Mitsubishi style bracket that i got with a eBay wastegate. I decided not to use the wastegate mainly on the fact its eBay, but the ebay wastegate is the one on top.

p1610686_2.jpg

Last edited:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I may use the eBay one then to see if it'll work. I have a friend who can weld. I can get some steel rod im sure from sears or something. When I take it to my friend should I tell him to cover the canister end to block some of the heat the welding will obviously generate? Anything I should let him know?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I thought you could adjust the 20G actuator with the end on it, just take a few turns out to losen it up?

It's been a long time since I was on my 20G, but I remember made some adjustments there, and it helped.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
RacerXJ220;1610842 said:
I thought you could adjust the 20G actuator with the end on it, just take a few turns out to losen it up?

It's been a long time since I was on my 20G, but I remember made some adjustments there, and it helped.

Thats what i did, it basically extends the rod arm which in turn opens the flapper door a certain degree. It will lower the boost, but this kills the spool time.

I took my eBay bracket and traced the TD06 actuator mounting bracket on it so i can trim it. I need to drill one more hole. What type of steel is recommended for this application? I was at ace and found some 1/4" weldable steel rod.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
JDMMA70;1610740 said:
I may use the eBay one then to see if it'll work. I have a friend who can weld. I can get some steel rod im sure from sears or something. When I take it to my friend should I tell him to cover the canister end to block some of the heat the welding will obviously generate? Anything I should let him know?

Just keep tack welding it, each time cooling the rod off with a damp towel.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
MDCmotorsports;1611022 said:
Just keep tack welding it, each time cooling the rod off with a damp towel.

Alright cool thats simple enough. I found some weldable steel rod at ACE will this be ok to use? Or do i need a specific grade of rod? If so where can i obtain that?

Oh and thanks for the help and advice i appreciate it.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Hey JDM

remember

garrett turbos are Mitsubishi Heavy Industry turbos. The bracket will work and probably the actuator also. Check the ATP turbo site to see if they sell a lower pressure actuator for MHI or IHI (Isuzu Heavy Industries) turbos.