Targa Top Tool

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
i had a crazy idea one time about to make the unlocking of the targa top automatic...too much effort for a project?--sure it would be, but a fun challenge maybe. Take 4 small motors and find a way to attach them to the targa top so that when you hit a button, they all 4 unscrew at the same time in a few seconds. then just pop it off and throw in the hatch.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
S.A. supra;1737319 said:
Lol, just don't hit the button while driving!

Throw in a switch into the shift column that it can only engage while in neutral, put the button away from anything else than can be used while driving such as somewhere in the passenger side. Possibly inside the glove box?

So the tool is still available, where could it be bought? Stealership or auto parts places?

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
i like ur idea...hmmmm....
Greek;1737322 said:
Throw in a switch into the shift column that it can only engage while in neutral, put the button away from anything else than can be used while driving such as somewhere in the passenger side. Possibly inside the glove box?

So the tool is still available, where could it be bought? Stealership or auto parts places?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Motor would require quite a lot of gear reduction to get the proper torque. A clip latch won't work as the targa is structural and stressed when it's bolted on unlike t-tops.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
wade3570;1737431 said:
i like ur idea...hmmmm....

That was just a quick thought. I'm sure something else could be made. Maybe make a safety switch that only when flipped off would allow the operating switch to work. There's quite a few possibilities, but as Poodles has said. It isn't very practical.

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
I have the stock tool and wife has a fancy little ratchet. takes me twice as long to take hers off then mine and a LOT of cussing. I do not think i would flinch at 50 bucks for the stock tool. Have to get her one cause i am NOT taking her top off anymore with that *&$^(*& tool

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^you sure its 50$? I was going to look but the tsrm doesnt seem to wanna work right now.

I used to use a ratchet with and extension and the 6mm allen socket and it was just as fast as using the toyota tool. I dont see where all the fuss and difference is?