targa top seals

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's usually the drip rail to targa seal, not the actual seals that are leaking. It's best to replace the seals anyway since you'll need to remove them and they may be damaged from removal.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hvyman;1887753 said:
Or someone tried to silcone them and now everything is toast.

Damn straight... had that issue on mine and was tempted to just buy new drip rails as I had to cut the old seals out because they were glued in. :3d_frown:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya that happened on my first car. Spent like a hour just scraping it out.

Current car hasnt leaked since i bought it over 4 years ago..

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
hvyman;1887753 said:
Or someone tried to silcone them and now everything is toast.

Same on mine, was pulling what's left of my hair out trying to get it off. Oddly enough it took a dremel with a tiny bit to get it off.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Little tip I got years ago and tried with success. Mine were leaking as well and I rubbed vaseline all over them, and supposedly it softens and for lack of a better word pluffies them up :) I don't don't how long it'll last. I painted mine about 6 months after I did that, but in that time they never leaked.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
OfnaRcR4;1887782 said:
Same on mine, was pulling what's left of my hair out trying to get it off. Oddly enough it took a dremel with a tiny bit to get it off.
3M makes a wheel that removes pin striping and stickers, its quite consumable, (i.e. buy more than one) but it works well without destroying the paint.

yhatzee89;1887886 said:
Isnt there a mod for the seals? Thought someone mentioned it on here...
I mentioned something a while ago, but it had many details, and did use RTV.

hvyman;1898545 said:
No mod. Don't use silicone.

Get new seals and clean the tracks.
I agree, if they aren't too expensive.

Here is a quick repair of the silicone if you HAVE to do it immediately and its going to rain soon.

1. Clean all the oils off of your seals where they are to be repaired.
2. Scuff the seals specifically where you want to apply Silicone.
3. Clean the debris out from where you scuffed.
4. Tape off the area where the silicone RTV might get on the paint.
5. Build silicone into the shape you need. Let it set up a bit 2-5 minutes, maybe more. Saliva is just about the best medium to move it around with your fingers, and to keep it from sticking to your fingers.
6. Once it is close to the shape you need, place saran-wrap over the opposing item to be sealed, make sure the silicone RTV will interfere with the other part between .125 inches, and .188 inches. If you must close the opposing item, place saran-wrap over that too and be prepared to reform the silicone until it sets up. It usually takes as long as 24 hours. So disconnecting the battery might be required.

Oddly enough RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing... BUT, room temps are not what catalyzes it at all. Moisture is what helps RTV Silicone set up, so once its in place and the shape you like a light squirt with a water squirt bottle helps a bit. Don't overdo it, it only needs to be moist.

I know this is all less desirable than new seals, but sometimes you need a solution NOW and cant wait for the seals to be shipped. Good luck and keep us posted.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Orion ZyGarian;1887875 said:
There's some silicone sprays etc. out there that will keep your rubber from hardening over time. I think you're supposed to wipe your body seals with it once a year at least.

This is an old tip that works. I always sprayed my seals after wiping them down whenever I put the top back on. The roof never leaked a drop the entire time I owned the car and after 23 years the seals still looked and felt new.