Targa top question

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Todays the first day I've actually put any real miles on the car. I decided to take to top out and take it for a drive. I was on a country road, paved, going to my Moms when I noticed a serious vibration through the whole car. I thought the rear end was going to fall out. I drove to a gas station about a mile a way and checked underneath and everything looked fine, no snapped frame or anything. I popped the top back in, took off, no more vibration. I pulled over at a farm took the top off, bam, shaking like crazy. Is this a common problem with targa tops? Thanks guys.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I am considering adapting a diffuser from another car to bolt into the front edge of the targa location to split up the air resonance in the rear....

something the targa should have received from factory....

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
i'm surprise anyone point a bad or old driveshaft center bering.
I had this problem and i replace it with a one piece alu drivshaft. no more vibration. Sure the flex is still there but no more constant shaking

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
sylquebec;1864562 said:
i'm surprise anyone point a bad or old driveshaft center bering.
I had this problem and i replace it with a one piece alu drivshaft. no more vibration. Sure the flex is still there but no more constant shaking

If it was the driveshaft it would be with and without the top on...

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
When I built my targa turbo I ended up fabricating a tubular fill bar i bolted in place of the targa, made it more like t-tops, after welding a few weights into the doors it all but eliminated the body sway.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
#04;1864398 said:
I am considering adapting a diffuser from another car to bolt into the front edge of the targa location to split up the air resonance in the rear....

something the targa should have received from factory....

Poodles;1864432 said:
You mean like the MKIV had?

The famous "eye brows." SW20 MR2s had them as well.

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
Poodles;1864582 said:
If it was the driveshaft it would be with and without the top on...

I was not able to feel it with the top on. Only with the targa off since it has more body flex.