Targa top problem.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So I got new seals for my targa and wanted to do them tonight. So I hope in my car, and break the back 2 screws loose. Grand. Then I go to the front 2. Yea, they are seized on there quite nicely. Actually so well in fact that, an allen key socket connected to a rachet with a cheater pipe on it, BROKE the allen key. FML.

With rainy season coming, I need to know what can I do to get the targa off? And what can I do to prevent this seizing to stop.

Also, can the bolts that are In the front of the targa, that are inside the windsheild area be replaced? I really hope so incase some thing happens.

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
i have 2 extra front bolts with springs i bought from toyota but never used, still in the bags, if thats your problem and you need new ones let me know. i also have the targa wrench in good condition

as for the problem, ive never experienced it and im not sure if it would be the screws or if it is the targa where the screws screw in. was this the first time you had tried to take the targa off lately?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So far Ive used WD40 and Liguid wrench on it......and nothing. Im going to let it sit outside in the heat (a wopping 57*F) and see if that might help me. While it sits Im going to go grab some PB Blaster, and see if that does the trick.

I dont understand HOW they could be so tight. I dont crank down on them when I tighten then back up.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
airhead04;1688126 said:
So far Ive used WD40 and Liguid wrench on it......and nothing. Im going to let it sit outside in the heat (a wopping 57*F) and see if that might help me. While it sits Im going to go grab some PB Blaster, and see if that does the trick.

I dont understand HOW they could be so tight. I dont crank down on them when I tighten then back up.

sometimes you have to tighten then loosen tighten then loosen, takes a while but works & i will admit if you try to tighten it too hard you my break the bolt.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I used nickle antisieze on my bolts. Tends to be messy at first, but once it really drys on there and becomes like a coating it works great.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
What might help is using the right order...the front bolts are supposed to be undone first when removing the targa. Doing the back first will probably shift it around a bit and misalign the fronts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Correct.

Order for tighten is back bolts (doesn't matter which one first) then driver's side, then passenger side. Passenger side is a slide, if it's bolted down before the driver's side, alignment will be off and you're strip the driver's side (ask me how I know...)

Still, some antisieze goes a loooooong way towards stopping them from sticking. Many people overtorque them as well.

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Run a tap thru the holes to clean the threads up.
If you use antiseaze, put a LIGHT film on. You get that on seats or headliner, its there for good.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
shipkiller;1689022 said:
targa is leaking.
Don't want to buy new seal from toyota (400$~ish)
what do?

Drive with a towel in your lap? Most of the time the leak is caused from a leak between the drip rails and the targa top itself, the issue is removing the seals usually ends up in them self destructing...