Tapping noise seemingly from top end....VID

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
Any help here?

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/stangslvr01/?action=view&current=MOV00953.flv

ive pulled plugs one at a time and the sound doesnt change or lessen. ive had a stethoscope on it and it sounds the loudest from the top end intake side.

this is a fresh engine build with a "supposed" freshly rebuilt head bought from ebay.

the camshafts and the camshaft caps are slightly scored.

p534050_1.jpg

p534050_2.jpg

clearances for the shims on the lifters are all in spec with the exception of 2 which are simply .001 under spec. i dont believe that to be causing this noise.

i REALLY dont think its rod knock because all of the tests and listening points it to upper end...just wondering if anyone had any other ideas suggestions ways to test top end parts for this noise outside of yanking the head off and pulling it all apart....

the noise is loudest at idle and then as you can hear in the video seems to go away the more the car is reved up. oil has been changed three times since the engine has been started up initially (has maybe 200 miles on it total) and all oil has been filtered to check for any debris and there has been NOTHING. these are more reasons why i dont believe it to be bottom end....

any help im pulling out my hair and trying to get this thing done to go to tx.

thanks!

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
everyone on supramania is rodknock happy.

Also, this is like the third damn video in like... fucking a week that someone has released.. "listen to this noise"

You better find someone local to listen to the damn noise.. Nothing is clear over the intrawebzz except that, well, there IS a noise.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sounds like theres a leprechaun in your engine bay tapping stuff when your car is idling.

Seriously.

There was one in mine, I'm serious.

He then proceeded to completely chew one of my rod bearings and spray it all over my oil pan.

Bastard leprechaun.

On a more serious note, have you checked all of your shims and buckets, along with your cam gears, making sure there is no points of contact?

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
Disced said:
everyone on supramania is rodknock happy.

Also, this is like the third damn video in like... fucking a week that someone has released.. "listen to this noise"

You better find someone local to listen to the damn noise.. Nothing is clear over the intrawebzz except that, well, there IS a noise.

ive had a few people listen to it....but ive gotten lots of mixed answers.... so i figured i would post on here and see what people thought....

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
johnathan1 said:
Did you check the cam bearing to cap clearances?

they were checked partially but with out of range plastigauge....but the ones we did that we could get a reading were good...we will get other plastigauge and try again...

any other ideas etc?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
BoostedFloto said:
they were checked partially but with out of range plastigauge....but the ones we did that we could get a reading were good...we will get other plastigauge and try again...

any other ideas etc?

Out of range how? Too big or zero clearence?

Piston slap maybe, idk the video doesnt want to come up for my computer...

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I doubt it is rod knock. Rod knock is very obvious and comes from the bottom.

All I know is that videos online never sound like real life, so get a supra expert over there real quick.

From here, it sounds like a typical out of clearance head, but as you said this is not the case. The scored camshaft caps are enough to make me want to replace the head.

Also, don't buy heads on eBay. It looks like you spend money on the engine, so try to get a head from someone who can be accountable if there is a problem.

Good luck buddy.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's top end. Hear how fast it's tapping?
If it was lower end it would NOT be that quick at idle.
You have a shim or two to replace, I'm willing to bet that it's the ones that are slightly under spec.

Let me know which thicknesses you need, I've got a box of roughly 3+ heads worth, if not more. I should have 100+ shims by now. I'm sure I've got the ones you need.

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
Bill, swap in the cams and buckets I gave you. It came from a perfectly running car. that valve train made no noise. It seems like an easy fix as most people feel its top-end.

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
drbowser3 said:
Bill, swap in the cams and buckets I gave you. It came from a perfectly running car. that valve train made no noise. It seems like an easy fix as most people feel its top-end.

I think thats what I'm going to do tonight and/or tomorrow and see what happens.

jason7mgte

Ok so I like the 88 tails
Dec 3, 2006
pa
sounds exactly like mine did thought it was valve train nope rodknock !! my car was stock boost always HA join the club sell your car or get a cheepo jdm motor

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
jason7mgte said:
sounds exactly like mine did thought it was valve train nope rodknock !! my car was stock boost always HA join the club sell your car or get a cheepo jdm motor

Nah, turn the boost up, and see what she makes before it blows. Then go forged.(If it ends up being rodknock)

mk3ftMFw

Mini Toon Burnout!! FTW!!
Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
yeah people that say tapping isnt a rod knock are wrong. Its not always evident cause you can barely shim a rod bearing. Tapping can be a knock. I was told time after time it was a cam shaft with bad clearance, and its not.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
I am possitive that is rodknock. Trust me on this one. Just pull it. I think I wasted twice as much time trying to diagnose sounds then it would have taken me to actually check. Pull the motor, and check the bearings.