tach off by a few hundred rpm + mild hesitation on warmup

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I havn't had too much time to tear the car down and check all of my connections/grounds... also still re-building my tool collection. But, I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice on what could be the cause. I plan on checking my TPS and ignition system first.

The car seems to hesitate a bit or stumble at low throttle input when it's cold (warming up) but once it's warm, it seems fine. But still... it seems like there is a lack of power, although the car runs VERY strong when it's actually making max output. I'm a bit confused TBH

also... currently throwing no codes

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah, it's just odd altogether... if the o2 sensor was screwed it should be throwing a code, same goes for bad grounds, same for afm, tps. The car just feels like it hardly wants to go when it's cold... we'll see

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
89jdm7m;1915610 said:
yeah, it's just odd altogether... if the o2 sensor was screwed it should be throwing a code, same goes for bad grounds, same for afm, tps. The car just feels like it hardly wants to go when it's cold... we'll see

I do believe that's during closed loop operation, so the o2 input is null and void(Correct me if I'm wrong).

It sounds like your afr's are a bit rich under warm up, do you have a wideband? Have you checked your static timing after it's warm?

I know that when my car was close to 6 degrees static timing, my car ran like SHIT til it was warm.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah I'll have to do that for sure... sadly I do not have a wideband.... I did on my last car, and it would run 14.7:1 ALWAYS (except WOT) of course everything on my last car had been gone over with a fine toothed comb, multiple times (by me) but I haven't had the time or tools to do hardly anything with this car

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
still not shedding light on the tach issue... I've read of people having a loose/bad connection somewhere between the igniter and the ecu (one guy said he had to jiggle/mess with a connector near the ecu under the dash...)

I'll be putting a different cluster in the car too to see if that will fix it (waiting on the last gauge to come in the mail from tubbie)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
still need to get under the dash and fiddle around/replace my gauge cluster with the one without crinkled white faces :nono: but I did find my car had 0 ign timing advance... so adjusting that got rid of the hesitation...