T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Poodles;1430948 said:
Possibly, if the balance is good and the materials aren't crap...

bingo, i'm sure we will find out soon enough after someone runs one for a while. if the balance was bad i doubt it would last 90 days & that they'd offer a 90 day warranty. I've heard that the larger "china" turbo's are alright because they don't have to spin anywhere near as fast as the smaller ones, not sure how true this is.

ill be fitting mine within a month but having the balance checked/corrected if needed before hand for a little peace of mind. my 57trim is burning a little oil.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I've been in contact with CX Racing, they seem happy to answer my questions.

its produced in china, like %99 of products these days.

here is the conversation log, 0 problems they've heard of.

I don’t have the answers to your questions, the fact is we have sold about 200 of the same turbo, has 0 problems. That says all.

Hi Kevin,

i have a few more questions

1)What is the tolerance on the balance?
2)It’s manufactured in china but designed in the US? Is this correct?
3)What are the quality of the materials used in comparison to other manufacturers?

It is made in China. Most turbos are all made in china on the markets, many vendors just don’t tell you that.

Hi Kevin,

Are all the components involved made by CXRacing?
I was also after where it was manufactured? I.E. USA, China etc?

Regards,

It is made by our manufacturer. It is CXRacing product.

Hi,

I purchased a t61 for a 7mgte supra,

Ive got a few questions regarding it, where was the turbo produced? And were the housings a custom job made by CXracing?

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
stay.tuned;1430381 said:
alright, guys I have the turbo in and running it takes a while to boost but that's when the profec b is on other than that I like the turbo its gots a nice kick to it. No need to talk about any more I took it all the way to 17 Psi no problem when it hit 8 Psi the traction broke in 2nd and 3rd. Good turbo alot of power jus needs to dyno. Later next week

pics and vid now! Lol. Dyno asap of course. Please list other mods. Also what is the spool time like????????
l

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
redmaro;1430440 said:
So what makes this T61 turbo less prone to fail like a 60 Trim CT-26?

From what I've heard the CT-26 upgraded 60 Trim fails because the shaft is so small for such big wheel, and also because of surge caused by the small housing.

So what makes this turbo any better in durability?

I have had a ct26-60-1 which is the one that fails faster for about 2 years with no problems.That is till the oil cooler line busted and seized up the engine and turbo . The ct26- 60 trim im more durable than the 60-1 cause its a smaller wheel. Check out my dynos from this weekend 431rwhp and 426 rwtq on 18 psi:evil2:

http://supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108689

allblackalltrac

Know it all
Dec 20, 2008
Toronto
Paradox616 or Black,

Can you take some measurements of the oil feed and drain outlets, center to center, would like to know which flanges to order for future references.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
allblackalltrac;1433479 said:
Paradox616 or Black,

Can you take some measurements of the oil feed and drain outlets, center to center, would like to know which flanges to order for future references.

looks like standard garret flanges to me.(makes sense, easiest and cheapest flanges to source) ill know for sure in a week when i do the oil lines for it, i think ill be doing bundy tube for the oil feed.

something like this should fit but if you wait a week or 2 ill know for sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURB...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

allblackalltrac

Know it all
Dec 20, 2008
Toronto
No rush, I already have all the hoses and fittings from a previous build (ct26/7mgte soft lines) I just need to know which flange to order from Driftmotion because they sell the ARZ Performance flanges in both a 1.5"(GT-series) and 2"(T-series) hole spacing.
This being a China/Ebay turbo and all who knows what it will use hence the reason I ask for measurements - would be an expensive guess if you spent $70 on lines and fittings only to find they didnt fit.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I bought a turbo downpipe on ebay from this retailer. Well it looked great but after I put it on it the surface wasn't flat and it was blowing exhaust out between the bolts.

Had to have it machined for another $50

My ebay comments probably said "good retailer - product as described" - It was at least a month before it was installed.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^ No other info or opinion to give about it? You just did a full install and had it running, you're a bit further then anyone else has gotten.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Issues:

- did not come with studs, flanges
- had to be re-clocked due to the drain fitting hitting the wastegate arm
- bolt size for the downpipe was incorrect (was 10x1.25mm, should be 12x1.25mm)

I left before the install was completed. The customer did most of the install. Maybe he will chime in here. We used AZP flanges and a full stainless -10AN drain line. The oil feed was pretty standard as with any T3/T4 type of turbo. The coolant hoses had to looped of course. Also I insisted that we use studs instead of the included bolts.

Other than that, it works. I haven't heard from him though, so I assume it's working well. When he posts, we can find out more.

As for the quality of the turbo, it's just your average ebay turbo. There is nothing good/bad about it. It is worth the amount paid. As I mentioned, my turbo builder says that the bearings and seals on chinese turbos are of a low quality. That is why I still suggest getting this turbo rebuilt/balanced with quality parts before using it.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
935motorsports;1437964 said:
Issues:

- did not come with studs, flanges
- had to be re-clocked due to the drain fitting hitting the wastegate arm
- bolt size for the downpipe was incorrect (was 10x1.25mm, should be 12x1.25mm)

I left before the install was completed. The customer did most of the install. Maybe he will chime in here. We used AZP flanges and a full stainless -10AN drain line. The oil feed was pretty standard as with any T3/T4 type of turbo. The coolant hoses had to looped of course. Also I insisted that we use studs instead of the included bolts.

Other than that, it works. I haven't heard from him though, so I assume it's working well. When he posts, we can find out more.

As for the quality of the turbo, it's just your average ebay turbo. There is nothing good/bad about it. It is worth the amount paid. As I mentioned, my turbo builder says that the bearings and seals on chinese turbos are of a low quality. That is why I still suggest getting this turbo rebuilt/balanced with quality parts before using it.

If you add the cost of the rebuild to the initial cost of the turbo, do you still think it's worth it? Or would you recommend spending a little more to get a turbo you don't have to worry about?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Neodeuccio;1438458 said:
If you add the cost of the rebuild to the initial cost of the turbo, do you still think it's worth it? Or would you recommend spending a little more to get a turbo you don't have to worry about?

we can only speculate on the quality of parts without actual failure/testing, (given its manufactured location) to me the wheels look roughly cast, where as the Toyota/ garret wheels are nicely finished off after the casting process.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Neodeuccio;1438458 said:

Well with a full rebuild you're looking at at least $4-500, and by the time you reach that price, you could just go with a Boss Jr and get close to that HP range.

But yeah, i agree with the other members, just go with a reputable brand, and reduce the risk of ending up with fan pieces inside your engine. ^__^