T-88h and the mk3 supra

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Stock fuel is best, and run regular, the detonation will help spool it sooner. ;)
But on a well built engine and someone who knows what they are doing, the T-88 isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, although I'd take a GT40 any day.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
IHI-RHC7 said:
T-88 34D 20 psi 4000 rpms.
Fact.
Anyway, Jonzey and the rest are right.
If you're asking this question, you seriously need to sell that turbo and start with a CT.
-Jake

Heh, that is where most mk4s have a T78 spooled.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
lol. a T88H kit on an auto MKIV automatically puts it in the 10's. i saw some kid at the track a while back. it was his first time out, on drag radials and was running 10.5's, 10.3's. just a MKIV auto with the greddy kit. i was impressed.

IHI... you are quite right. i honestly was going to do the GT40 w/ the bigger of the 2 wheels. however, the T88 fell in my lap and was less than half the price of the GT40. i couldnt pass it up. ;)

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
i think that it is a bad ass turbo with the suporting knowledge and mods(100 shot of nos ) if your going for huge numbers thats your turbo!!!!

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
well i guess most of you are right because im new to the game of turbos and i just wanted to start off with the best since im rebuilding the whole engine from the block. which is the best turbo in the t4 system cuz ill sell the t88h but i aint gonna sell the t4 turbo manifold.someone was telling me to go with the sp60-1 . the mods i got going in my rebuild are : je pistons, ported&polished head, t4 turbo manifold, 660injectors, mk4 supra fuel pump, spearco intercooler, tial blowoffvalve, aeromotive fuel pressure release and fuel filter, arp bolts on the connecting rods and arp bolts on the head, hks metal headgasket, apexi super air flow controller (safc) so whats the best turbo for me. i aint going with ct

Last edited:

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
What are your power goals?, what will the car be used for?, where do you want your power?

The "best" turbo for one person isnt the neccessarily the "best" for another.

cjennings

Mar 31, 2005
Des Moines Iowa
Unless I am mistaken the Greddy 88 is actualy a t-66 or something, it is not a true t-88. Lag is always overrated by those that have not run a big turbo yet. My sp71gtq came online fast as sh*t and was boosting to the moon by 4000 rpm, once the boost started to come online, late 37xx rpm it just rockets.

Make sure your engine is built well (and I mean rods,pistons and valve work) and you focus on making sure you take every advantage of flow volecity, some mild porting, opened exhaust track. You might want to consider a standalone in the future, you can tune your timing and a/f to help spool a big turbo just alittle bit ealier.

Worse comes to worse, get a small nos kit, it will spool faster than you can steer away from the pole as you drift the backend out. Someone mentioned the SP57, that is an AWESOME little turbo for the street, hell you could almost road race successfully with that. I opted for a big gun, but I am surrounded by domestics and straight flat roads out here in Iowa.

B

Boostaddctn

cjennings said:
Unless I am mistaken the Greddy 88 is actualy a t-66 or something, it is not a true t-88. Lag is always overrated by those that have not run a big turbo yet. My sp71gtq came online fast as sh*t and was boosting to the moon by 4000 rpm, once the boost started to come online, late 37xx rpm it just rockets...Worse comes to worse, get a small nos kit, it will spool faster than you can steer away from the pole as you drift the backend out. Someone mentioned the SP57, that is an AWESOME little turbo for the street, hell you could almost road race successfully with that. I opted for a big gun, but I am surrounded by domestics and straight flat roads out here in Iowa.

AGREED, those who replied that the T88 lags think that upgraded ct26s lag... they don't know what lag is until they have had a bigger turbo or driven one... aight peace

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
CJ... you are slightly mistaken.. the GReddy T78 is only a 63mm inducer, or 67mm.. its in the 60's range for sure. the T88 is a 74mm inducer. i took my compressor housing off and measured it, it came out to 74mm and the exducer was 104mm.

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
A giant turbo and a basic fuel management don't mix well. You'd have lag... then boost takes off like a rocket... and bounces off fuel cut. With your current plans you'll still be contending with fuel cut. Big turbos feel like the hand of god when they spool but it won't do you any good if you're stuck with the same flow restrictions that are imposed on a BPU'd car running a CT26. If you want a turbo recommendation look at a SP61GT but invest in some solid engine management to go along with it.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Yea.. But he said he had a t4 manifold...

Anyways, no one can really give you advice until you tell us what your goals are...

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
what are your goals anyways? over 500hp on the street is virtually useless. trust me, ive seen/been in my share of 500rwhp+ cars... nothing but wheel spin. and i dont have the resources to ride around on DR's all day, every day.

personally, i would recommend an SP61GT. 400rwhp guaranteed.

cjennings

Mar 31, 2005
Des Moines Iowa
flubyux2 said:
CJ... you are slightly mistaken.. the GReddy T78 is only a 63mm inducer, or 67mm.. its in the 60's range for sure. the T88 is a 74mm inducer. i took my compressor housing off and measured it, it came out to 74mm and the exducer was 104mm.

No doubt I am, that sounds right to me.

Your other comment - 500+ - Yeah, wheel spin city unless you do alot of highway runs, even my 285's sping like crazy through most gears. However I don't think the problem for most people is the wheel spin, its just how quick you come to the end of the straight line of road you have chosen, you get going stupid fast...well... fast!.

I totally agree with your SP61 series recomendation, any of the smaller sp line is pretty kick ass.

My sp71gtq is the newest design and suppose to spool much quicker with the redesign, I would be currious to see how it actually maps to a SP61 which is not of the gtq family.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah, an 61 or 63 is probably as much as, or more than the majority of people will ever need for street duty.

here in tampa, there are some nasty "Street" cars, and im just trying to keep up w/ the game. and we do have 3 multi-mile bridges that span 2 counties that we usually race on late at night when traffic is dead.

this is once of those situations where "do as i say, not as i do" defnitly applies. im building a top end car and looking for at least 800rwhp.. but im silly like that ;)

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
my plans right now is to use my supra mainly for street race not soo much for the track however i wouldnt enjoy having a car that gets smoked on the street thats why i opted to go with the t88h.my goal was to have around 500 but to use it for street use, not everyday driver car but like street race and every now and then drag but i dont think that is possible to balance them both. so it would be in my best intrest to sell it and get the sp-60-1? so it would kick in around 4,000? so like from 4-6,000 it would be hauling? so i think i might end up seeling it

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
hey grimace... a SP61 would be a great turbo for a street car and you could easily make 400rwhp. you could most likely take down alot of 500rwhp dyno cars, just because it spools faster and wont be too violent that it roasts the tires. its a damn good street turbo. a T88 is primarily for top end and high speed passes. i mean, thats going to be my forte... so thats why im not getting the SP61

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
so the t88h would be good for the freeway?and the sp60-1 wont ? think i could try out the t88h and then sell it used? or peeps dont buy them used?

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
i just discovered i know way less about turbos than i thought i did. Anyone know where i can further my knowledge?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Grimace: Ever ridden a peaky 125cc dirt bike?

Slip the clutch to take off wind the throttle on and nothing nothing nothing nothing HOLY FUCK!!! hang on for dear life bang through the gears end up going really fast back off for a corner bang down a few gears to keep it on pipe wind it on and repeat!

BIG turbo's are sort of the same unless you spend up big on the rest of the motor so it will rev happily you end up with a usable powerband of a 1000 or so rpm (say 4500 to 6500), not a lot of fun for a street car as they just don't hook up that well with this sort of power!