system recomendations

Gwydre

Wild Orange
Feb 10, 2007
The Woodlands, Texas
'ello all. I've got an 87 w/ the stock system in it, plus an acoustic CD-300 deck from the early nineties, and I'm looking to put something really nice into it. Was thinking about going w/ just some straight infinities, but figured I'd post here and see what some of the recomendations are. I'd like a system with as clean and clear sound as I can (I'm a musician), but my budget can't go over much more than 6 or 700. so what're ya'lls suggestions for deck, speakers (all 4) and amp? thanks.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Front speakers only, good 2 channel amp, and a good deck. That good enough? lol

What I run:
Eclipse SP5000 5.25" (front)
Eclipse EA2000 (front speaker amp)
Jl Audio 10w0-8 (sub)----------|FREE
Rockford 300.1 amp (sub amp) -|FREE

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
I've got 4" infinity references in all 4 locations. Sounds great to me. Using a Kenwood DPX-701 deck, double din. 22W 50W peak to all 4 channels. Very happy with the infinity speakers without the assistance of an amp helping them. I bought a Frye's special sub box/amp to fill in the lower range till I can afford what I want for it.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Front speakers only, good 2 channel amp, and a good deck. That good enough? lol

What I run:
Eclipse SP5000 5.25" (front)
Eclipse EA2000 (front speaker amp)
Jl Audio 10w0-8 (sub)----------|FREE
Rockford 300.1 amp (sub amp) -|FREE

if i fallow your footsteps will i still be able to think when i drive? if yes i dont want it! lol

i like it loud and clear and thumpin good, all for a good price.

also, i couldnt find this sub amp online anywhere, got a link?

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
that's not the name of the amp, it's a 300w 1 channel amp. I'd have to go look at the part number, and it's raining like a bitch and about 32.1 degrees (lol) so I'll get it for you tomorrow. My system is VERY clear, and the bass is just a subtlety, it's not overwhelming. Like I said, the amp sub combo was free, and it's only temporary; pretty soon I'll be running a TREO SSi competition sub and a zapco 750.1 amp :naughty:

Gwydre

Wild Orange
Feb 10, 2007
The Woodlands, Texas
I've heard a lot about the 'stereo imaging' thing reading around this forum, and I'm just wondering, considering I've never heard it w/out rear speakers, does it create the same effect? what do the rear one's add, etc. j/w if it's worth it to buy all four or save some money/ go for a better system with just the front two.

also, what's about the largest little-hassle speaker I'm goign to get in the door?

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
Hey TTL, just kidding. but i did just put the pioneer 6x8's in all around. Big improvement over stock but a bit punchy overall. I need to drop in a sub and and crossover the mids high enough to fix it.
Oh and stop telling people to punch holes in thier door panels. I'm gonna have to make pods to mount tweets in the mirror trim panels. I'll sell you a pair when I do.

wadadlidp

Wicket!
May 19, 2006
MARYLAND
when u do make them let me know i would like a pair.

toyo4life said:
Hey TTL, just kidding. but i did just put the pioneer 6x8's in all around. Big improvement over stock but a bit punchy overall. I need to drop in a sub and and crossover the mids high enough to fix it.
Oh and stop telling people to punch holes in thier door panels. I'm gonna have to make pods to mount tweets in the mirror trim panels. I'll sell you a pair when I do.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gwydre said:
I've heard a lot about the 'stereo imaging' thing reading around this forum, and I'm just wondering, considering I've never heard it w/out rear speakers, does it create the same effect? what do the rear one's add, etc. j/w if it's worth it to buy all four or save some money/ go for a better system with just the front two.

also, what's about the largest little-hassle speaker I'm goign to get in the door?
The rears don't really add anything, they just make more noise. They actually take away from the whole "stereo imaging", by introducing more background noise. It's a much better idea to purchase a nice front set, and do away with the rears. Adding anything to the rear, even another nice set, will just make things sound worse from a sound quality point of view. As for the hole loudness thing, a nice set of front speakers on their own amp will be loud enough that you won't need anything in the back to fill it in. Seriously, even people in my back seat compliment my stereo.

The largest little hassle speaker I would suggest to be a 6.5" with custom mounts. Custom mounts are really easy. http://gallery.sanitylapse.com/v/supra/thumbnails.php?album=158

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
toyo4life said:
Don't listen to TTL . He's CRAZY. And not very bright.:nuts:
:madfawk:
anyway :D lol
yeah yeah yeah, well I didn't want to make custom corner pods for my tweets seeing as how I plan to find a shadow gray interior someday anyway. When I do that I'll end up fiberglassing everything in, including custom speaker enclosures :) I wouldn't mind buying a set of your corner mounts if I hadn't already made holes in my doors lol!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
I'm using all my old stuff from 5 years ago (except sub), and it's a huge improvement over slightly improved stock.

Before:
Alpine HU (entry model from a few years ago, forget the model number)
Infinity 4.25's all the way around

Now:
Pioneer HU (midrange, again forget the model)
Infinity 6.5 components up front
no rear
120wrms x2 amp for the fronts (only a mediocre amp, this'll be the first thing to get upgraded)
Elemental Designs 13ov2 sub (600wrms)
Hifonics Brutus 1500d (@ 500w)

Future:
Pioneer's new line of HU's
CDT components up front
6.5" midbass frontstage
move the infinities to the rear as rear fill
2 new amps, one for the front stage, one for the rear fill
Maybe a better mono amp, but i'm really happy with the hifonics thus far

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Yes it does. Some of the Eclipse units (at least their models from a year or two ago) do too. However, I've got some audiocontrol stuff stashed away which i'll be using for xovers and equalizers.

However the 8800 is such a gorgeous HU, and has so many other functions, as thats probably what i'll spring for. Granted, all this talk of mine is 1-2 years down the road, as i need to pay off loans first. and by then, hell, who knows what'll be out?!