Syncro Question. Are these the right ones? (w/pic)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
While inspecting the syncro's in the kit from Driftmotion, the syncros are different.

I have three like the one on the bottom and two like the one on top. All of the syncros in the tranny currently are all the same and look like the one on the bottom.

Any insight would be great! Thanks!

p1459769_1.jpg

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
My guess would be to call or email big aaron and point him in the direction of this thread so he can let you know, and if not he can fix/replace the wrong parts.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It's been a while since I tore a manual apart, but I think that the lower one has a more equal tip for good 2-way (up&downshift) action, whereas the upper one has a one-sided action for one-way shift action.
That said, I would think these 2 setups would make sense.
First: 1st and 5th gear get the weird ones, since they are used in the same way (only shifting up into 5th, only shifting down into 1st)
Second: The other option is that they are used for high stress gears like 2nd and 3rd.

The repair manual doesn't state a difference, but I'll check the EPC soon, here. An edit or another reply should follow shortly.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
So after checking with the EPC, I've found that 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear share a common part number: 33368-35020 x3. 1st and 2nd share one too: 33367-35010 x2. Both of my guesses seem to be wrong.
I would double-check with Aaron when you have a chance, he's really good about getting back to people.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I did call Aaron on Thursday; but, he was in the hospital. The woman I spoke with said that he had to have a minor procedure done. They were hoping to have him home on Friday. Which is why I posted here.

Yes, there are different sizes. I don't have the parts with me to post pics. They're at the shop. I won't be back to the shop until Monday.

I was hoping to get this figured out this weekend so work can continue first thing on Monday.

I'll wait on Aaron. Hopefully he'll be back to the grind here shortly.

Thanks for the help everyone.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yep. And I'm assuming that he was referring to this comment:

aljordan;1460222 said:
It's the Aisin redesigned synchronizer.

The two sets should be different sizes.

Correct me if I'm wrong though!

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
I know when i did my tranny 1 and 2 were the same 3 and 4 were the same but i can remeber 5 hes all by himself get one of those mc thrust washers and the billet rear bearing retainer great upgrades

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
yeah the top syncro is not right unless its a cut snycro for racing idk if it came from marlin crawler or dirftmtion im sure its right

Sik89supra

Jan 13, 2009
Delta PA
I used the same kit from driftmotion, the one on top is a newer updated version, i was concerned too when i rebuilt mine, but afer doing some digging i found a write up on it and its just a newer updated version, i found the write up http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/ but they will be fine im using the same kit in my R154 with no problems.

Last edited:

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i had a couple of those in my tranny i rebuilt. i rebuilt it because the previous rebuild done by some shop blew itself up. they seem to be in the aftermarket kits.

the new toyota syncros i got looked like the bottem ones...

and my tranny shifts great. been about a year. i wouldn't worry about it though. i have drove r154 that have both and then my current one with all the same. nothing can be noticed. the backside of the syncro is what wears and does all the work. its what drags on the gear.