Switching to synthetic?

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
My car is at the 165,000 mile mark, had the headgasket redone with a MHG Bead style @ 155,000 and have been using dino oil 10w30 since. The bottom end was left alone when the head was done and i don't know if its ever been touched. I change my oil every 2k miles with a new toyota filter, but after reading that oil filter post i think im going to switch to napa gold. But my question is can it hurt anything just switching directly to synthetic? Should i use a blend for a oil change or two so i dont shock any bearings? Or should i just stick with dino oil...

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Nice, well what synthetic oil would you recommend? I see you posted something about PAO and Ester based oils are better at cleaning engine gunk, are there other types? What brands are PAO/Ester based and how can i tell?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Like I said...read the stickies. (there is one that answers this question) SupraCentral pointed you to them in the thread that was closed. You need to do a bit of reading/research on your own to get a grasp on this subject...that will be obvious by the questions that are asked. The purpose of this section is to teach/provide the info for you to make your own decision.

And, read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig.

Tell your friend that a 15W-50 is killing his engine...he's not the guy you want to listen to ;)