sweet tits................................................another knock sensor thread

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
so. i have a code 52. now before i get a bunch of replies saying, "its knock sensor signal" or "search" i already know what the code means and i have already tried searching but its very seldom that i can ever find what im looking for with the search function here.

so now that i have that out of the way, allow me to explain my issue. i recently rebuilt my motor and unwrapped and re-wrapped my wire harness as well as did the knock sensor rewire. it is only grounded in one place(the original ECU ground). i have been driving the car for almost a month now and everything was fine, with the exception of a good tune. now, last thursday i got a code 52 out of no where. all my joints were soldered and there is not contact between the core and the shielding net. also,if my rewire was faulty then i should have been getting this code all along which i wasnt. it just came up. is there a way to bench test the knock sensor? or does someone have some known working ones i can get on the cheap? thanks in advance

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
nothing? well, ive continued to look around but i cant seem to find anything so i will probably just start with another re-wire. i guess if that doesn't work its time for new knock sensors. unless of course someone else has any ideas.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Whats the condition of the KS connectors ? Are you confident it is getting 100% contact between the harness and sensor?

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
pretty confident. the sensors are used but they were known working before i got them about a year ago. i have not used them for that year, they were in a box in the garage, they were just installed for the first time(in my car) about a month ago and as i said, worked fine up untill last week. im pretty sure they are making contact,but how would i test that since there shouldnt be any continuity between the body and pin?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Disconnect the connector and inspect the female pin, it may require some careful readjustment (bends) to contact the spade correctly. Do you have any junk electrical parts around to harvest a male terminal, to verify a snug fit.

I had this issue kick my butt once on a 22re.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
no, not really. i may just buy new clips since i didnt actually get new clips the last time as the writeup recommends. i had the clips off today when checking my wiring again but my voltmeter is weird so i dont know if it got me anywhere. i have a different voltmeter at my parents house that beeps when there is continuity so i might try that one and re check. i also took the knock sensors out today and they seemed fine. i guess it is worth mentioning that i have dielectric grease on the plugs.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i did not torque them. just snugged them. what is the torque supposed to be? or can you link the page in the online tsrm. i do not think they are over torqued, if anything they are probably under torqued. also, if i had over torqed them wouldnt that have caused issues right away not after a month of driving?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yep, tighten them too much and they'll be problems. They can be tested on the car (engine running or stopped) or on the bench. Best to do it on the car right at the ECU terminal. That way you check everything at once. The stock ground isn't at the ECU btw but it's not a problem if you ground them there. You should ground them at only one end though.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Just looked threw the TSRM, dont see any testing for the knock sensors. Jetjock might have more information on this subject as he has some rare technical documents on the subject.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well as far as specs on what a within spec reading should be i figured those top secret documents would be of use.

Theres no real way to use the knock sensors with a standalone monitor to do anything actually productive is there? Pretty sure its been tried and found to be not so accurate.