Sway bar Testing

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Alright guys, I'm looking to borrow your sway bars so I can test them and get accurate rates that we can all benefit from.

I have built a sway bar test rig that should work for all the supra bars, if not, I'll make another one. This is the rig I used to test S13 sway bars before.

DSC00343.JPG

Basically, I load the bar with several different weights and measure the angular displacement. When used with the moment arm length, also measured, this will give me the ft-lbs/deg measurement for the stiffness of the actual sway bar. This will factor into spring rate selection and suspension tuning and is very valuable to have. It's just as important to know as actual spring rate and it's a shame that these rates aren't published.

So if any of you guys would be interested in helping me with this. I figured we could split shipping or possibly donations from other members who are interested in this testing could help offset this cost. I will publish the rates of all the bars that I test. I'm looking for both Mk3 and Mk4 bars. And I figure that now, since it's getting cold out and the racing season is pretty much over, a lot of cars are just going to be garaged or getting work doen for the winter and the sway bars will just be sitting around doing nothing, so it would be the best time.

Please post here and/or PM me if you have sway bars that I could test. I have stock Mk3 bars, but I need everything else. I think this will benefit all of us, so if you have the bars and would be willing to participate, please let me know.

Tim

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I already talked with George. They don't have any in stock right now. But that means that a bunch of people in this community have whiteline adjustables right now and I'm betting that at least a couple people haven't installed them yet. And I'm hoping that at least one of the people who hasn't installed them yet, wants to know what rates they are or just wants to help the community. At least I'm hoping.

Tim

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I have a set of ST bars on the way. You want fronts and rears?

I've also got stock '88 T bars :)

Just need to know how long you'd have 'em!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Alright man, you've got the Whitelines, pre '89 stockers, and Suspension Techniques able to be donated, depending on how long you need them.

Anyone got a set of Tanabe's to test? Post '89s? (I seem to recall they are different sized... maybe it was 91-92)

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Awesome. I wouldn't need the bars for long. The testing takes less than an hour total depending on how long it takes me to find my clamps. So depending on how long it takes for shipping, I would probably only have the bars for a day. I could test them the day they show up, package them up again and probably have them back out either that same day or first thing the next day.

I have pre-89 bars on my brother's car that I will be testing.

So if I can get the whitelines from Jdub, the ST's from Doward, what else is really out there that would be worth testing. I would like to compare the Tanabes and if the 89+ are different then it would be nice to test them as well. Is there anything else? TRD? Progress? Cusco? Largus? I'm not sure if those guys do have bars available, but they're the only other companies I can think of right now.

Tim

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have some stock 89 bars (just need to funds to ship em, should have my job back soon)

my car is a DD, so the whitelines need to stay on....

there are also two different whiteline bars front and rear, adjustable and non adjustable... not sure if jdub was saying he has both styles, or just front and rear...

I can't find any other bars being made currently for our cars, dunno about what may have been made over the years though...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
blackout_89t said:
If the material used to make the bars can be obtained than this test could easily be done by calculations and or CAD.

I think part of the problem is that the manufacturer's don't publish all the info on their bars that would be needed to make such calculations.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Fuzz, does that mean you're willing to let me borrow those Tanabes? And then if Poodles' 89 bars are different than my pre-89 bars then I think that's pretty much what is available on the market today. I'm sure there's some older stuff or previous versions of some of the bars and I can test them if I can get my hands on them, but this should be a good getting started point.

As for calculations, they won't be accurate. The material isn't even the biggest unknown. All steels have about the same shear modulus, so we would be able to get close without knowing the actual material the bar is made out of. But it's all the bends, if you don't account for them, you will be off, if you do, it's hard to say how much. So that makes things hard. Also, you don't know the ID, and I don't think people would be too happy if I cut their bars in half to measure the wall thickness.

The only way to get close with any OE style bar is with FEA. And it would take me a lot more time to draw up and FEA model of the front and rear sway bars than it would to physically test them. And I would need to physically test them anyway to verify my FEA model. So it just wouldn't be worth it.

But I do with it were that easy and I didn't have to test them myself. I wish manufacturers could produce some kind of actual numbers for the bars. But oh well.

Tim

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tim: While the numbers may not actually represent anything in the real world they will be a basis for comparison ie: xx bar is a 4 and XX bar is a 5 so is stiffer.

This will be an enormous aid in setting up a car from scratch and much better than the current xxx bar is a nice colour ;)