Swapping from a R154 to a A340E

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I wasn't too surprised to find that there's not much info on this since people usually do the opposite lol. I've been daily driving the car for a year now and it got old on me. This is my second car, the first one being an auto supra turbo, and I miss it.

I'd like to swap in a A340E into my '90 Turbo original 5spd and control it with the SSv4, any tips or special things I'd need? It'd be my first time dropping a transmission. I know that I'll need a tranny from a turbo car, half the driveshaft, brake pedal, and that's all I can think of. Thanks for reading.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Auto cross-member
Short speedo cable
Gear selector, and linkage
Torque converter
Flex plate
Trans cooler lines
Auto radiator, or external cooler

Thats all i can think of for now.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
mkiiichip;1644086 said:
Auto cross-member
Short speedo cable
Gear selector, and linkage
Torque converter
Flex plate
Trans cooler lines
Auto radiator, or external cooler

Thats all i can think of for now.

I have all the above with the exception of the radiator, but as stated in a previous post, an external cooler will also do the trick. Also have the Auto ECU and Trans ECT box, brake pedal, and engine wiring harness if you need them. All are from a '91 Turbo auto car. If you are interested, shoot me a pm for a price. Will let em go cheap and willing to ship. My brother wants them outa his garage...

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread, I was tossing around the idea of getting an auto car and keeping the supra manual when I found out that WRX's are available in auto, but that's not gonna happen anymore.

So back to the original plan, anyone have any more input or offers and do the previous ones still stand? I'm looking to make 300bhp (I'm close), anything I should do to the auto tranny before I put it in?

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
A. Jay;1651368 said:
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread, I was tossing around the idea of getting an auto car and keeping the supra manual when I found out that WRX's are available in auto, but that's not gonna happen anymore.

So back to the original plan, anyone have any more input or offers and do the previous ones still stand? I'm looking to make 300bhp (I'm close), anything I should do to the auto tranny before I put it in?

If you do go Auto you should sell me all your 5pd parts left over. lol

Btw, a WRX w/ 4 spd auto would be boring. I use to have a auto base model Impreza and I wanted to roll it from a cliff.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
A. Jay;1651368 said:

Get the tranny rebuilt and make sure they put blue race clutches in it and replace all the o-rings as that is how I burned up my rebuilt tranny because they didn't replace the o-rings on the shift solnoid and I got 2 races out of it before 2nd started slipping. I have dyno'd 300 to the wheels so if this is what you want to do choose a reliable tranny shop that provides a warranty just in case they screw up LOL

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Thanks to all for the replies, awesome info.

Supra0089;1651688 said:
I had a tranny shop build my a340e for about 3k. They are warrantying it for 3 years/75k miles up to 500whp. You could also go with a kit:http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=174 or an already built tranny: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml.

Goodluck.

P.S. go with an external cooler...don't even bother messing with the radiator cooling route/lines etc. Also an external filter is also recommended...

Is that kit for the turbo or n/a transmission? Or does it not matter?

Slightly unrelated question, I want to run the tranny with the suprastick and shift it with the cruise control stalk, but the instructions to wire it are for using it by pressing up for the upshifts and down to downshift and I'd like to pull it towards me for the upshifts instead. Suprastick has two modes for the manual mode; two wire (momentary switches on each), or one wire (detects a difference of atleast two volts, +- one volt), and it uses one wire mode for the cruise control method. Ideas?

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
A. Jay;1651816 said:
Thanks to all for the replies, awesome info.

Is that kit for the turbo or n/a transmission? Or does it not matter?

It doesn't matter...

One suggestion if you do get an a340e is to buy one out of a 1j cressida or 1J supra. I hear they are slightly more beefy than a 7m motor tranny...

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Supra0089;1651820 said:
It doesn't matter...

One suggestion if you do get an a340e is to buy one out of a 1j cressida or 1J supra. I hear they are slightly more beefy than a 7m motor tranny...

So either tranny would have the same power-holding capability after the rebuild? Awesome, it's gonna be much easier to find a tranny at a yard now that I know either will do.

Found this thread in a search for manual to auto swap threads: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?114318-what-parts-will-be-need-to-swap-out-a-w58-for-a-automatic ...and it mentions that the tranny ecu harness is part of the dash harness or something like that. I'm not sure if I'll need any of it, but I'm definetly not looking forward to wiring this thing in.

Anyways, my plan is to buy the mentioned rebuild kit, have a shop rebuild the tranny, and mount an external cooler between the condensor and the rad. Thanks again for the replies.

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
If you run the stock shifter, you probably need to change the plate in the floor where the shifter hole is. Its a bigger size than the 5spd hole. The plate can be bought at dealer if still available. Its welded in from factory or seam sealer. Cannot remember.

Rich

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
A. Jay;1652125 said:
So either tranny would have the same power-holding capability after the rebuild? Awesome, it's gonna be much easier to find a tranny at a yard now that I know either will do.

Found this thread in a search for manual to auto swap threads: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?114318-what-parts-will-be-need-to-swap-out-a-w58-for-a-automatic ...and it mentions that the tranny ecu harness is part of the dash harness or something like that. I'm not sure if I'll need any of it, but I'm definetly not looking forward to wiring this thing in.

Anyways, my plan is to buy the mentioned rebuild kit, have a shop rebuild the tranny, and mount an external cooler between the condensor and the rad. Thanks again for the replies.

Just to clarify, make sure you just bypass the radiator altogether to the external cooler.

Mounting an external cooler under the driver headlight is pretty easy, here is a pic of mine mounted with the bumper off:

p1652233_1.jpg

Tranny Oil Cooler w/ electric fan mounted under driver headlight

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
I have a built auto if you want to buy one already built. I am going to be making more power so I'm going to a TH350 setup. I'd sell it with the high stall converter, Jawsgear 1pc driveshaft and oil cooler with lines. PM me for more info if you are interested.