Swapping ECU connectors froma JZA70 to a Soarer

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
First off, I apologize for not being able to search thoroughly, but I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and busy as hell. Ive got an 89 Supra with a 1JZ swap. My JZA70 ecu took a shit on me before i deployed. i bought an ECU, but in my ignorance, it was a Soarer ECU, so the connectors do not match up. I've since purchased the Soarer ECU connectors and was wondering how hard it would be to snip off the JZA70 connectors and splice in the Soarer connectors. Are both the wiring harnesses the same, with the exception of the ECU connectors, or are the wires different colors? If they are the same color, then it should be real easy for me to cut and splice, but if they are all different, I'll have to have it done professionally. Can anyone give me some help here? Thanks for your time.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
"Took a shit" what do you mean by that ? Could it be leaky caps? If so you can get Aaron at drift motion to repair them for $72. Leaky caps are a real problem with 1j ecus. Open your jza70 ecu up and see if you see black stuff leaking out of the capacitors, on to the board. If so 72 bucks is a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot easier then cutting and soldering, trust me. I just rewired a 1jz and now know why they charge so much to mate harnesses.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?46755-1jz-ecu-capacitor-repair-service

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I think all you need to do an ecu swap is use the soarer connector depin repin into the soarer connector.
I am not sure but they may use the same pins 99% of them.

The only problem I can see you might have swapping ECUs is most soarer ECUs are automatic with auto control ecu built in.
It may code it may need dummy loads signals on the transmission stuff to keep it from coding running right.

The positive is maybe plug and play standalones down the road. if the 4 ro 1j matches the 4 row 2j
Do you need the soarer ecu pinout?

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
i know for certain that it has leaky caps. but from what ive read, sometimes DM can't repair the ECU or the caps leak again. ive heard the Soarer ECU is a little more reliable than the JZA70 ECU. but it sounds like the issue of most soarer ecu's being automatic could be a problem. my issue that that when i get back to the states i'll only have two weeks before my leave (and i plan on driving back home) to fix the problem. i was looking into bic performance's PnP haltech standalone's, but they are 2G's. with an otherwise stock 1jz, that makes little sense. maybe i'll get a DM turbo kit to make the standalone purchase worthwhile. any thoughts?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
True not all of the ECU's are repairable, but at least in my personal experience I have yet to have an ECU fail again after replacing the caps. I have repaired at least 20 JZ ecu's, and I've only seen one damaged beyond repair.

I would recommend at least having someone take a look at your original ECU before you consider other options.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
It can be easily done. Most of the pinouts between the JZA70 and JZZ30 have the same designations such as M-REL and BATT, for example. You won't use some of the pins on the Soarer ECU connectors, especially if you are using a manual transmission. I had to do this for a friend a few years ago, but instead of cutting his JZA70 harness, I used an autosport wiring jumper harness with a JZA70 ECU female end and JZZ30 ECU connectors.

That way, it is completely reversible and you are able to use both types of 1JZ ECUs.

Also, the Soarer uses a separate fuel pump ECU so there isn't a pin on the engine ECU for the circuit opening relay. Oh, and to answer your question, many of the wires are different colors. That's where the ECU pinout chart for the JZA70 and JZZ30 come in handy.

Last edited:

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
ken, do you have a link to the autosport harness you were talking about? also, with that harness, what did you do about the fact that the soarer uses a seperate fuel pump ecu? my car's fuel pump is wired seperately from the ecu already. i have a switch i use to turn it on on the dash. i assume that will affect your answer. thanks for the help guys. i really appreciate it

also, what's the standard turn around time for getting the jza70 ecu's repaired by DM?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
driftmotion was very quick with my ecu, about a week and half total time. the total turnaround time depends on the shipping carrier and if its a weekend or not.
swapping ecu plugs is easy but extremely time consuming. What i usually do is make a jumper harness to go from one ecu connector to the new ecu connector, that way you dont cut into your engine harness.

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
yeah, the turnaround time for DM is going to be a problem. i have two weeks, before leave to get this beast fixed. unless i can get the autosport jumper harness that KEN was talking about, i may have to look at the bic performance PnP Haltech standalone.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Yeah I called them yesterday, and spoke to Arron. He told me to call him back in a hr cause he was out of the shop. So I called him back three hrs later. He tells me that they got one in a while back On the 21st of May, and they put it to the side and didn't tell him about it. He also said he didn't know if it was mine or not, and for me to call him back cause he was out of the shop. I told him to call me back when he gets to the shop. Long story short No call from him yesterday. I Had also sent him 2 emails and A pm on this forum before I called. Terrible customer service skills. I'll be taking my money else where from now on. This is my DD and I need to get this thing on the road. So if you are pressed for time I wouldn't trust DM to get it back to you on time.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
Email richard at autosport wiring: richard@autosportwiring.com

Just tell him you need a patch harness to adapt a JZA70 harness to a JZZ30 ECU. He will know what you're talking about. It will come depinned, so you will have to insert the pins into the JZZ30 Soarer ECU connectors. Just use the pinout chart for the Soarer and Supra and you're good to go.

Since you already wired your own circuit for the fuel pump, you don't have to worry about the fuel pump terminals on the Soarer ECU.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I would try & give aaron mary at DM a break he works really hard & manages to do so much on his own.
He now even routinely deals with me, I just bought a supra with a stinger and 1JZ he installed the stinger but the guy fubared the harness & extended it instead of putting it in right with out needing the harness extension to make along story short, I must be one of his most anoying customers but hes always pollite and does a good job.
I think hes taking a small break I heard he just got engaged & he let me know hes out of town this weekend enjoying time with his family.
I feel your pain but he very rarely gets away from work even on his days off.

The sad part is I called him to let him know I was going to buy a 1000+ in parts but theres always later & id give aaron my money any day of the week.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
sorry for the plug, but i have an Apex'i JZA70 to JZZ30 adapter harness from a PowerFC for sale if you wanna get really easy