swain tech. head & valve coatings

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
i know swain tech is a great piston coater, but they also offer a coating for your head chambers, valve heads, and exhaust ports...i was wondering if anyone has tried it...might get it done ot my 2jzgte head after all machin work is done. if anyone has had this done please tell me how it has helped keep temps down

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
I had swain tech coat my head chambers and exhaust ports and valves. it cost a little cash (more now than then) but i would think that keeping the heat out of the head and coolant would be helpful. many dont do this extra expense but only coat the piston tops. Yes they get hot and dont have any coolant around them like a head does but with the coatings more heat goes out the exhaust port which i would think would help keep temps down and may even help spool. Just a guess on spool tho. be sure to do any porting to the head first. just getting rid of the lump of metal under the valve seats does wonders to our heads.

I had my ross pistons coated with gold coat on top and mc9 i think on the skirts by swain coat also. they are a very reliable company and dan swain knows his business. I want to get my DP and turbo exhaust housing coated with white lightning some time also. i will attach some pics and try to find my supraforums thread about this i made a few years ago. here is the link but i think the pics are gone.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270783

Attachments

• chamber and valveq 1.JPG
    chamber and valveq 1.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 24
  • chambers 1-3q.JPG
    chambers 1-3q.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 18
  • full chamberq2.JPG
    full chamberq2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 22
  • exhaust portq1.JPG
    exhaust portq1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 22

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
some pics of intake ports. swain tech gold coat and skirt mc9? coating. the gold coat is perishable and will absorb moisture if you dont install pistons and fire up the engine after receiving them back. the coat will turn green and start to come off. they are shipped in bags of nitrogen so when you get them store them less than 7 days and install. fire up engine the same day as assembled. you can bake them at 300* to restore the gold color. the engine will cure the coating hard.

Attachments

• intake ports compare 1q.JPG
    intake ports compare 1q.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 15
  • finished chamber 3-04q.JPG
    finished chamber 3-04q.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Ross pistons coatedq.JPG
    Ross pistons coatedq.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 16
  • coated pistonq.JPG
    coated pistonq.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 19

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
thanks also just another option eceryone ask JDUB what he uses i forgot what its called.. You can find him in the motor oil seciton hes the official SM expert