Suspension Upgrade

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Currently I have Potenza Dampers with stock, rusty springs. I think it may be time for me to upgrade. I don't track the car, it's basically a DD and a show car. Currently, when I hit a bump or a dip in the road, my front tires hit the wheel wells. I'd like something that I can raise when needed, but not necessary. My car doesn't have TEMS. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Alec;1355085 said:
Currently I have Potenza Dampers with stock, rusty springs. I think it may be time for me to upgrade. I don't track the car, it's basically a DD and a show car. Currently, when I hit a bump or a dip in the road, my front tires hit the wheel wells. I'd like something that I can raise when needed, but not necessary. My car doesn't have TEMS. What do you guys recommend?

So you want to go with coilovers then?? Tien's and Eibach are some of the best qaulity ones you can get for ride, durabilty, and adjustablity. But get out your check book on that one.

K-sport, megan, skunk2 and so on are the lower quality coilovers but still offer a fair amount of adjustablity. I know with the K-sports you can go lower then the tiens but would probly run into the "too low to function" eventually.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Tien. Skip the Megan's if your driving it around every day on the street... K-sport I hear are awful, D2's are pretty much K-sports ect ect. I think what your looking for is TIEN Flex. Yes, they cost up the ass ( $1700 ), but they are a great ride, adjustable, and if you want on the fly stiffness adjustablity you can later purchase the EFDC ( or whatever ).

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
SupraOfDoom;1360955 said:
Tien. Skip the Megan's if your driving it around every day on the street... K-sport I hear are awful, D2's are pretty much K-sports ect ect. I think what your looking for is TIEN Flex. Yes, they cost up the ass ( $1700 ), but they are a great ride, adjustable, and if you want on the fly stiffness adjustablity you can later purchase the EFDC ( or whatever ).

What about Stance coilovers? But wouldn't it be better for me to get a Shock/Spring combo? Like I said, it's basically a show car that I street drive.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Poodles;1361539 said:
bilsteins and powdercoat you springs (or get someone selling their stockers)

But aren't my stock springs messed up? They are rusty. If I got the Bilsteins, wouldn't I get better performance with new aftermarket springs?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Surface rust isn't much, and to be honest most aftermarket springs are very stiff.

You honestly don't look like you have stock springs on your car as it's so low in pics...

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Poodles;1362227 said:
Surface rust isn't much, and to be honest most aftermarket springs are very stiff.

You honestly don't look like you have stock springs on your car as it's so low in pics...

The previous owner said that they may be cut springs. He didn't put them in and never got around to changing them. If you see in my pics, only the front is lowered.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You mean the front I hope?

It's your car, personally I like the stiff setup I have, but I kinda miss the stock setup for DD duty...

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Poodles;1362388 said:
You mean the front I hope?

It's your car, personally I like the stiff setup I have, but I kinda miss the stock setup for DD duty...

Yea, the front. I want a stiff setup. I just rode in my buddies S2000 with Stance Coilovers and it rode really nice. Not harsh, but stiff. I wish my Supra had that feel.