Suspension Upgrade questions

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'm currently budget building my '88T and I bought Tokico shocks and Eibach springs for it. I'm wondering what else I should do to improve handling, ie balljoints, subframe bushings, better swaybars, different swaybar bushings, that sort of thing. I've tried to read the pertinent stuff, but any tips from members who've already been through all this would be much appreciated. ty!

Snotcycle

Jul 16, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
I am in the process of installing the Suspension Techniques sway bars front and rear, they come with new poly bushings and stainless brackets, you have to reuse the OEM hardware with the addition of a washer that is included.

From what i've read they are supposed to make the supra VERY flat in corners, possibly the best mod for decreasing that famous supra roll that you do into every corner

PS: The rear bar has two points to mount it to the endlink, you can set it for more or less oversteer

emission

1.5JZ powered!
Jun 11, 2005
Long Beach, CA
if your building a track car or even a weekend canyon runner like me.

here's my set up

JIC upper a arms -4 degrees of camber

tein flex coilovers

Suspension techniques sway bars

cusco strut bars

and all four wheels are rockn' 17x10's FNOR C1s

switching over from springs and shock combo improved handling.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
I'm also in the process of upgrading my suspension and am getting pretty excited about it. The ST sway bar upgrade is very popular and has been said to improve the car a lot. Also, just upgrading to tokico and eibachs is a huge jump from stock as 20 year suspension is well...20 years old =)

NewWest: I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say about doing ball joints, bushings etc. I would love to replace everything at once (bushings, end links, trailing arms, ball joints, sway bars etc.) but don't know what is recommended highly over others. Pretty large investment and time required to do it all.

emission: was it the switch over from spring/shocks that was the big improvement? or that the FLEX's include pillow ball upper mounts?

Obviously when talking about suspension upgrades, first you must know what you want to use the car for.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
MKIII N00b said:
so whats better?

coil overs or shocks and springs?

uhh... is this a trick question? Coilovers are always better than shocks bro. That's day 1 stuff. Every real race car on or off road is using some sort of coil over in one form or another. Do Quote me on this...:naughty:

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
MK3_noob: it totally depends on what you're looking for. Generally speaking here of course - coilovers will have higher springs rates, adjustable ride height, and adjustable dampening (on some models). Springs/struts are non adjustable (some can be though), and have a set ride height (mostly heh!).

First though, it's good to understand what that all means.

Spring rates are measured in how much force it takes to compress the spring. So, the higher the value the more force it requires to compress the spring. For example, a pair of cusco coilovers I have use 10kg/mm springs...so, it takes 10kg of force (22lbs) to compress the spring 1mm (~1/16"). This is for a linear spring. For non-linear springs the force required increases the more it's compressed...and so on :)

Ride height adjustable is fairly self explanatory...you can adjust how low she rides.

Dampening force is the shock or strut inside the spring. The damper resists movement in both directions. Think of a slinky...now hang it upside down. Notice how it springs back/forth for a long time...well that's bad. Springs do the same thing except in reverse, they bounce as force is instantaneously applied. Struts are designed to resist the oscillations and bring the suspension to steady state. The less dampening force the strut uses, the longer it takes to be brought to SS. - but this is more of a 'cushy' or floaty ride. The more dampening for applied, the quicker SS is achieved but the ride is much harsher. A happy medium is totally dependent on the person and the application.

So to say that coilovers are 'better' than spring/strut combo isn't exactly true. They are more expensive however, and certainly more adjustable.

hope this helps?

emission

1.5JZ powered!
Jun 11, 2005
Long Beach, CA
well a change from blowing my shocks ever 4 months was a big change.

lets just say going through corners and turns with eibach springs and tokico shocks at 45 and the posted speed is 25 is okay but going through the same turns at 50+ now thats way more fun!!!

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
When selecting suspension parts keep this in mind, Shocks control the up and down movement and rebound, Springs hold up the weight of your car, and in corners where the weight of the car is shifted front and back left to right etc. Now sway bars are the key, they force your suspension to move and up and down in unison to a certain degree so when one corner starts to lift the bar resists but allows some by twisting. The thicker the bar the less the twist, this doesn’t mean a 2 inch think bar would be better, there’s a sweet spot sway bar manufacturers find that gives the best flatness in a turn with some twist so every bump doesn’t feel like you’re on a washboard. So what I prefer and its strictly a preference is a soft shock with sway bars, I get the TEMS caddy ride but still flat, and I also get the very flat firmer track feel. When my TEMS are done I’m not sure what I’ll go with but knowing kybs last forever I may go that way but Tokicos sound good from all the reviews I've read here. The whole combination is a preference thing so think about what you want first and maybe even try to hitch a ride with someone who has what your thinking about. Once your suspension gets dialed in to what you like then it's up to your tires to stick.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
if you can, do coilovers first, but since you are on a budget, go with sway bars right off the bat. they make the handling that much better. then slap some shocks and springs on, maybe with some upper pillow ball mounts.

my car: tokico struts, tokico springs, ST sway bars, HKS upper pillow ball mounts, trust front stb, cusco rear stb, JIC lower tie bar, and DU Luck rear cross bar.
if i had to do it again, first would be coilovers, or sway bars