suspension problem

TheWooz

Dec 23, 2006
Myrtle Beach SC
My car has been making this random popping noise. It sounds like its coming from the driver side somewhere. Today i climbed up underneath it and checked everything and it all looks good. Before i bought the car the the steering rack was replaced by toyota (found the paperwork for it in the glovebox) i have replaced both lower ball joints, brakes, and had it allinged. Also the steering wheel will get nervous at random times then it will be ok. Im running outta ideas.

Alan

Mar 16, 2007
Gulfport, Mississippi, United States
TheWooz said:
My car has been making this random popping noise. It sounds like its coming from the driver side somewhere. Today i climbed up underneath it and checked everything and it all looks good. Before i bought the car the the steering rack was replaced by toyota (found the paperwork for it in the glovebox) i have replaced both lower ball joints, brakes, and had it allinged. Also the steering wheel will get nervous at random times then it will be ok. Im running outta ideas.
Check to make sure the rack is connected to the frame all of the way and nothing is loose, if thats good then check the tie rod ends are connected to the spindles all the way and make sure that the castle nuts are on tight with the cotter pin installed.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Upper ball joints, bad shock, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, rack and pinion mount bushings, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links... take your pick for the random popping noise. All but the last 2 can cause a "nervous" steering wheel at random times. Especially when you hit a hole or bump.

supra-addiction

Mar 26, 2006
hampton
cuel said:
Upper ball joints, bad shock, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, rack and pinion mount bushings, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links... take your pick for the random popping noise. All but the last 2 can cause a "nervous" steering wheel at random times. Especially when you hit a hole or bump.

mostly what he said.."i didn't even read this befor i posted"
lol:biglaugh:

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
does it pop when you turn?? if so its one of then ends coming out of the rack and pinion. i had the same problem its a nylock nut not castle that worked it self loose. some red locktite and torque it down and you should be good to go