Suspension options

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Aussie people,

What are my options for some new suspension? Are the brands of coilover available locally decent or should I look at importing some Japanese / US made brand? The car is just for street use - on our nasty roads - so I need something stiff but hopefully not too stiff that every bump vibrates the whole car.

Is it worth buying locally to get better warranty/support?

Any suggestions on one set of coilovers that stands above the rest?

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Some brainstorming:

ImportBitz have some "HD Systems" coilovers which are reasonably priced, but I'm not sure what the quality is like: http://www.importbitz.com.au/hds.htm

Greenline has TEIN FLEX for about $1700, which are always popular.

Some places seem to sell Bilstein too: http://www.gtsuspension.com.au/css/bilstein.php

Then there's also http://www.whiteline.com.au ...

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue where to start. :)

I'll be looking to couple the new coilovers with whiteline or ST front+rear swaybars too, if that makes a difference.

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
all coilovers are going to to be quite stiff and on any dodgy road will be pretty uncomfortable, thats unless of course you go the higher quality models with adjustable dampener settings which you will be able to fine tune for what type of ride you desire

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Well if the high quality models are going to hide some of the uncomfort of Aussie roads then that's what I'm after.

Any specific models, recommendations, etc?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tom: Most of the Jap coilovers don't have enough "droop" for our roads and can be pretty uncomfortable this is why I designed the custom Koni's in my car with the guys at TopPerformance here in Vic.

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Bit costly, but not too bad considering what you're getting.

I don't know if there's anyone locally that could build coilovers to my custom specs... I'll have a look around for someone that may be able to work with me to build something up. :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You could maybe get a set of Tein's revalved to suit our roads but finding parts for them can be hard as a lot of it is Tein specific!

If you can find something with independent Compression/Rebound adjustments you're golden as you can tune it to suit.

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Is it worth getting brand new or is it just as good to get used coilovers and have them re-valved, etc?

Seems silly to buy a brand new set of Teins and then revalve them anyway (which normally includes a 'rebuild' too, right?) ! :)

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Ah, fair enough, that's a good point. :)

I suppose if I can find some second hand bits with locally available parts, that would be okay but if I go Tein etc then I'll stick to new. :)