Suspension Noob

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Good day all,

Ok I am totally confused about what steps I need to do to acheive my suspension goals, so lets start out with what I have...

My Car:
1990 RHD JDM 2.5 TT
-Bilstein suspension

I have no idea what this suspensions adjustment and limitations are. All I know is it has Bilstein shocks. Is this suspension have room for adjustment, or is it fixed?

I have been looking at some posts and have been searching for more information about my stock set up, but have come up with pretty much nothing. The most useful thread I have found is this...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446817&highlight=bilstein
but I am not sure if this is what I have...

So my questions are:
-Am I able to just adjust my suspension with the current set up?
-If I want to drop my car 2-3" all around and keep the same ride quality, what parts/setup should I be looking for?
-What set up is more suitable for a: daily driver + country side cruiser + drag strip run once in a while + occasional auto cross runner?

This whole world of coilovers and stuff is so foreign to me, have only worked on leaf spring trucks all my life! :1zhelp:

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
The bilsteins are not externally adjustable for valving, but you can adjust the height. You will not be able to drop the car 2-3" on those without running much stiffer rates or you will risk bottoming out the shock under normal cornering.

You can do a lot with the setup you have. If you want to put sleeves on it and run normal coil springs, you have a much greater choice of spring rate. If you want to run stiffer springs, you can always get the damper revalved. You can go a little stiffer on the stock valving, but not too much. And then you can have the car setup for whatever you want.

To get 2-3" lower, you're going to want to look at other options. Common coilovers will get you lower, but they won't keep the ride quality you want. My TIP setups can keep the ride quality and get you lower, but they are a little more expensive than the average coilover setup.

So there are tons of possibilities. Just depends on what you really want and how much you're ready to spend.

Tim