Suspension Lowering

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I have a 1986.5 Supra, i believe it has lowering springs, lowered approx 1.3 or so all the way around. Just put on Ruff Racing R930 s in the Hyperblack. 18 X 9.5 in the back and 18 X 8.5 in the front. The back looks fine, but the front is still sitting up too high.
I searched the threads and havent really found much information on lowering. I see most of the coilovers are 700 to 1,000 plus and they only sell them in fours. Out of my price range after all the work I have just done, Most coilovers for the MKIII dont lower it as much as i want anyway. Guess I am looking for another 1.5 or 2 inches or so up front in addition to the lowering springs I already have.

What are my options? Cut the springs? I dont want to be one of those kids in a Honda bouncing around the road with no suspension travel. Anybody know of a manufacturer or someone that would sell me two coilovers?

Anybody have any ideas and pictures of their lowered rides?

Thanks

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Lowest springs that I know of besides going coilover would be the H&R springs. Also the bilstein shocks have height adaptability but I'm not sure to what extent in either direction.

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Thanks for the reply. I believe I am already lowered 1.3 to 1.5. I see the H & R's are 1.6, so probably wouldn't be as low as I am looking for. Wondering how much harsher the ride would be if I take a couple inches off the springs up front. Would rather not go that route, but I guess it would be a temp solution. after just adding up my receipts (over $3k) in tranny, a.c. tires, rotors, starter, alternator, 3 inch exhaust, etc etc I promised myself the next dollar i spend will go to a 2jz swap, and not coilovers.

Any ideas guys?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
If your only looking for drop the front end further your best option in my opinion would be Bilstein Struts as they are height adjustable matched with H&R lowering springs.

The comment you made about coilovers not being able to go low enough in the front is false.

Dropped all the way on Megan Tracks, the front bumper just barely clears the floor. It would not be drivable and purely just for show. Now the rears is a totally different story though. This is on stock 5 spokes/ factory tire sizes.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
The H&R's should be low enough, in reality they lower the car atleast 2 inches. Im my case it was a little more than 2 inches in the front end.

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
On the H & R website, the race springs, they advertise 1.6 in the front, 1.3 in the back, but i read the reviews on tire rack and everyone is saying at least 2 or more. Looks like a good, cost effective temporary alternative to coilovers.

Anybody have any pictures with the H & R springs on their car so I can see the stance?

Thanks!

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
nnate1228;1372096 said:
On the H & R website, the race springs, they advertise 1.6 in the front, 1.3 in the back, but i read the reviews on tire rack and everyone is saying at least 2 or more. Looks like a good, cost effective temporary alternative to coilovers.

Anybody have any pictures with the H & R springs on their car so I can see the stance?

Thanks!

Remember, H&R's paired with bilsteins on the lowest perch will be plenty low for street use. After you do this I'll bet your gunna want to lower the rear some more.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
nnate1228;1372096 said:

Thanks!

Yes take a look at post number 9 in the thread (not my car)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83749\

Mine looks lower, Ill see if I can take pics in the afternoon.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
heres a pic of my car on H&R springs and tokico hp's. don't mind the primer lol getting ready for paint. also its on 18x8.5 in front with 235 40 tires and 18x9.5 in back with 275 35 tires.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Thanks for the replies. Those H & R springs look like the way to go. I like the way the primer gray supra sits. Gonna be way nice with some paint.
I had Konigs on 18 x 8.5 in the back and 18 X 7.5 in the front. I bought 4 new maxxis tires (255/35/18 in back, 225/40/18 in front) and when the jerky at the tire place was putting them on, they scratched my rims. They ended up buying me all new rims. I got the Ruff racing R930 in the hyperblack (they look chrome in the pic from the camera, but they are much darker) and went with 18 x 9.5 in the back, 18 X 8.5 in the front, so the tires are stretched a little over the rim. Not the look Im going for, when those wear out, I will buy wider tires. Looks like my next mod is the H & R Springs, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• small pic 12.jpg
    small pic 12.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 65

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
I'd be pretty keen on the height of supra1642's. Any idea where I can buy those springs and struts that ship worldwide? Can't find them here. Also are they the super sport ones?

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
--Wolf--;1373276 said:
I'd be pretty keen on the height of supra1642's. Any idea where I can buy those springs and struts that ship worldwide? Can't find them here. Also are they the super sport ones?

I see them on ebay and tirerack.com has them too. Im assuming they would both ship worldwide.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I havent put my H&R's on yet but has anyone had sucess bringing the cars alignment back into spec with H&R's i know ill prolly have to get aftermarket rear camber arms

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
nnate1228;1373398 said:
I see them on ebay and tirerack.com has them too. Im assuming they would both ship worldwide.

Tirerack looks like a good option, but they don't ship worldwide. :(

Anyone want to ship them to me?

Also, nooby questions here, but if I got the H&R race springs, will I need aftermarket shocks as well? Anything else I'll need also?

boostindoo

Jul 18, 2006
raleigh
hell no to intrax!!! i had intrax and the front jacked up like crazy, like u never dropped the car. i think b&m are the way to go....