suspension install too expensive?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Satan;1374189 said:
You will still re-use the top cap and bumpstops. ANYTIME you are working with springs, you need a spring compressor to keep things from flying... prevent damage?

The only time I did not use the spring compressor, was when istalling the new springs on the rear struts. You can push down on the spring/cap and get the center nut back on without the compressor.

ANYONE ELSE NOT SUGGESTING SPRING COMPRESSORS, PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. IT IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO TRY SOMETHING THAT STUPID. THE OP HAS ALREADY INDICATED HE DOESN'T HAVE THE EXPERIENCE, SO PLEASE LET'S NOT LET THIS BE HIS LAST ONE.

As far as the mounts go, I admitted my mistake in a previous post. As far as using a compressor, I only said it could be done, that I had done it, and I did not recommend it for inexperienced people.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
gaboonviper85;1374245 said:
uuum no! Again our stock springs don't have alot of stored energy when the shock is completely extended....maybe enough to toss the top spring mount 6" in the air....it's not a big deal! Sure maybe if you had custom shortened shocks this could be an issue but not the stock shocks/springs....infact I even got stock springs back on a shock and assembled without a spring compressor!!! Explain that!

Spring comps help with the front but are not needed...don't make a big deal out of something that isn't...majority says spring comps are over kill...and if you think you are the smartest person here with the most experience then you're sadly mistaken!!

I've done the spring/strut swaps on 4 MKIIIs, 1 MKIV, and a few other cars. I know that the top cap and/or strut can travel very far, very fast (we tried it, just to see). Ain't claiming anything other than to not use effective, free, sensible safety/tools is a mistake. Our stock springs are like any others when compressed by the strut and cap.

It is a big enough deal and I've seen 'em in action. Maybe your struts were so blown that they were already extended by the spring. I've removed good struts to replace/lower my MKIIIs and the springs had alot of tension. Our experiences are different, but all it takes is one time. Please don't attack me for what I think is good advice, based on my experience. I am not the smartest, but I will outlive some of the dumbest.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
really, when i got my aftermarket springs n shocks my dad helped me swap from stock to dropped in less than 1 hour. granted hes a mechanic but really its so easy that when i upgrade them next week i will know what to do and get it done within an hour/

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
rayall01;1374296 said:
As far as the mounts go, I admitted my mistake in a previous post. As far as using a compressor, I only said it could be done, that I had done it, and I did not recommend it for inexperienced people.

I also did mine without a spring compressor. im sure it would have been a bit easier with one, but it wasnt too hard without one. I used my impact gun for the center nut and nothing really flew anywhere. Just lay them flat on the ground when you do it, DONT have your chin above the top of the strut or you will be eating teeth and tounge for lunch!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
rayall01;1373824 said:
You won't need a spring compressor, since you're putting new lowering springs, on new struts, and don't have to disassemble the old struts.

gaboonviper85;1374245 said:
uuum no! Again our stock springs don't have alot of stored energy when the shock is completely extended....maybe enough to toss the top spring mount 6" in the air....it's not a big deal! Sure maybe if you had custom shortened shocks this could be an issue but not the stock shocks/springs....infact I even got stock springs back on a shock and assembled without a spring compressor!!! Explain that!

Spring comps help with the front but are not needed...don't make a big deal out of something that isn't...majority says spring comps are over kill...and if you think you are the smartest person here with the most experience then you're sadly mistaken!!

mastergrader007;1374501 said:
I also did mine without a spring compressor. im sure it would have been a bit easier with one, but it wasnt too hard without one. I used my impact gun for the center nut and nothing really flew anywhere. Just lay them flat on the ground when you do it, DONT have your chin above the top of the strut or you will be eating teeth and tounge for lunch!

You guys can do what you want and I don't care how experienced you are...doing what you suggested without a spring compressor is dangerous. Might get away with it, but sooner or later you're going to get hurt. Suggesting doing this to a guy that is obviously inexperienced is almost criminal. :3d_frown:

91Supra - Do this with a spring compressor...rent one from AutoZone or whatever. Don't even think about doing what these guys did...frankly it's just plain stupid considering the tool is available and easy to use.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Please carefully re-read each of my posts in this thread, because this is getting way out of hand. At no point did I recommend to the OP not to use a spring compressor. And an experienced mechanic should know enough about their talents and tools, to make their own decision.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
By saying you did it, it implies that it's ok to do...regardless of the "experienced" recommendation. This is an instance when it might just be better to not say anything.

It is a safety issue...any reputable shop owner would stop that practice (technique) by any mechanic that worked there in a heartbeat. If I were the owner, it would get one warning. If it happened again, I'd fire the mechanic.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I don't see how saying he didn't use a compressor and then him suggesting NOT to do it that way is implying that it is ok?

Anyways, I used a crappy $10 spring compressor when I did mine, they were the ones people use to compress or spread truck springs IIRC. Didn't really do much, but nothing exploded. Assembling aftermarket springs and shocks didn't require the compressor though.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I have 27 years experience in the miltary training, managing and supervising young men & women on how to use very dangerous pieces of equipment. I can tell you for a fact that a noob will not hear the "I don't recommend" part"...they will hear the "I did it this way" part. A noob will get in a hurry and forget the piece of equipment that makes a repair or build action safe, remember the "shortcut" and give it a try, almost always with bad results.

I've seen way too many young people taken to the hospital with a permanant injury to not say what I did...some never came back from the hospital. I also helped investigate or read the safety reports and know exactly why it happened. Care to guess what one of the most common causes was? I did not step in here to be a dick...if you guys can't see what was suggested here as very dangerous, you might need to rethink it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seriously tempted to clean this thread of the bullshit.

Let me explain a few variables in this whole thing. Are the springs pre-89, or 89+? Are the shocks original or aftermarket? Have the springs sagged? Have the springs been cut/heated?

Pre-89 springs are higher than 89+ springs. Some aftermarket shocks are shorter rods (MORE TENSION). Some springs are old and worn. Some have been modified.

Case in point, YOU DON'T KNOW. Much like never pointing a gun at something you don't plan on killing (even if you think it's unloaded), always use a spring compressor!

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
i appreciate all the feedback, & it seems like everyone goes about their own ways to install their suspension. i'll take all feedback into consideration.

& as far as using a compressor, i think it's a good idea to use one. it'll save me alot of probable trouble in the long run.

can't wait to have this done & get pictures up.

once again, thanx for the input guys.