suspension install too expensive?

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
i just ordered a set of tokico hp & lowering springs & i decided to look around & see how much it would cost to have them installed.
& so far i'm in shock. i called a local kenwood tire shop & they said it would run be $800 to have the struts & springs installed.
wtf? i'm hopin this is an overprice. i would have never imagined it to be this expesive to install 4 struts & springs.
plus, with the tokico hp, i'm eliminating the TEMS which i assumed would make it a easier install.

wow, what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
i never considered doing it myself.
how would u rate the difficulty level on a scale of 1-10?

& i looked around & i can't find a write up anywhere.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Sounds about right from what I've experienced.

200 bucks each corner for aftermarket strut/spring combo
300 bucks each corner for coilovers

F**** that....I installed the coilovers myself in a few hours.

It's not bad at all. It was my first time and sure I hit some stop signs along the way but it is a simple job one can do in the garage or driveway with basic tools + spring compressor.

Theres lots of tutorials on this install here on SM which got me through my install.

I rate this install a 4 out of 10 only because one of the rear bolts stripped and I had a hard time cutting it off. Other then that it's a 2/10

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
It's very easy. The only pain in the ass part on removal is the damn control arm bolt on the passengers side. Hate that fucking thing. I'd rank it a 3/10. It can be time consuming but it's not hard.

Actually come to think of it I always had a some what difficult time getting the rear shocks back into the bottom of where they seat. Still pretty easy though.

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
wow, i never thought it would be so expensive. good to know thoo.
i think the best way to go is actually doing it myself.
i'm taking a big risk because it's something i have never done before.

but i'm sure with a lil research, i'll have this done in no time.
if anyone wants to chime in & give me some tips, it would be highly appreciated.

& thanx for the input guys.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
That was dopey to go no tems. New Illuinas with new springs, and the tems is sweet. And overall, it really is simple to replace the struts, and springs.

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
i wrestled my tockiko blues in without a spring compressor, and i removed my tems also. It will be even easier to install lowering springs without a compressor, but they do make life alot easier. AND i know what you mean by the passenger side bolt! had to take my washer resivoir out!! wtf was toyota thinking!!!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Loosen the washer reservoir, easy, breezy, beautiful. Money pit. Err.. Cover Girl?

Meh.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The TRSM covers it starting on page FA-17 and RA-57.

I re-used my old bumpstops once before, but I'd recommend replacing them all as well. They're gonna be pretty-beat-up.

1. Get the Autozone spring compressor from the tool loan program.
2. Loosen (with car weight still on the struts), but don't REMOVE the center top nut on each of the struts. Only remove these after the strut is out and the spring is compressed.
3. Now that the top nuts are loose, get the wheels off, putting the car up high on jackstands.
4. Spray some PB blast on all the bolts/nuts that you'll be messing with. Wet them again a few more times as you get the chance.

Good luck!

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
The only thing other then the p/s control arm bolt being a pain on the ass is that you have tems and in order to get the damn covers off for the rears you have to pull alot of the rear interior out.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SUPERIUM;1373412 said:
The only thing other then the p/s control arm bolt being a pain on the ass is that you have tems and in order to get the damn covers off for the rears you have to pull alot of the rear interior out.

This is true

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Which I wouldn't trust a shop to do without fucking something up.

Just recently did this myself, didn't have to remove the washer bottle (tight fit, but I got the bolt to slide out). The one thing missing in all the right ups is the lower moutn in the back has an insert that slides over to really lock the lower mount in place, you have to push the slide back so you can get the new shocks in easy (or at all depending on brand).

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I've done it a few times and it's very easy. Word of advice, have a 1/2" breaker bar. It'll save you from breaking your 3/8" wrench (did that the last time I pulled off the struts). Follow the write-up and you'll be good.

BTW, for $800 I could get a set of good coilovers new. Suspension is an easy thing to do, you just gotta take your time. Plan on spending a day doing it (I can do it in a couple hours, depending on if bolts fight me).