Suspension feedback for mk3 coilovers?

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
ma71supraturbo;1382854 said:
I've run HKS hipermax II's -- they are without a doubt the best riding coilovers I've ever been on (in any car). They make the MK3 feel like a new BMW. That said, they are not as performance oriented as most other coilovers, so while still far better than stock (or even most lowering spring/shock combos) if you're really wanting the best handling look elsewhere.

I was also the driving force behind getting D2 to make MK3 coilovers. They are a more performance oriented setup, but not in the same quality league as the big-names. They're a great value though, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for excellent handling on a budget.

Haven't tried the others, sorry

I run the Hipermax II's also and I am very pleased.
As far as performance handling goes I have no complaints.
I also run A-1 racing Toe rods, Camber rods, Traction arms and adjustable rear endlinks along with Suspension tecniques sway bars.
I would not change a thing.

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
Supra7MG;1483388 said:
I run the Hipermax II's also and I am very pleased.
As far as performance handling goes I have no complaints.
I also run A-1 racing Toe rods, Camber rods, Traction arms and adjustable rear endlinks along with Suspension tecniques sway bars.
I would not change a thing.

Can you throw up some pictures with that set up?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nalleywhacker;1489231 said:
The HKS hipermax II's are discontinued, so can you even buy them for the mkIII new anymore?

no unless some one has some laying around in a ware house and you get lcuky enough to get the last set. iirc from what i have read you can still get them rebuilt tho which imo would be well worth it.

edit: anyone know someone who works for hks that can see if they can re make them for the mk3?

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
out of jic , ksport, tien flex and ss , and stance. I prefer stance, and I have owned the others also.
Jic older model and were used but not blown . i liked nothing about , but had good build quality
Ksport. Ride quality was great and for the price would out perform any spring and shock combo I have used. rear is to stiff , a dampinb adustment is vague and make almost no diffence. but there a good value... build quality feels noticably worse then other but no issues in 2 year 45k miles
Tiens ss felt oddly soft ad full soft to me at full stiff and just felt like a mess, road well exact opposite what was said about them earlyer?
Tien Flex , Cannot go wrong with them if there in you budget for the street. ride nice handle well .. good traction on ruff surfaces. Most lilkely to soft for the track
also I used to sell coilovers , and flexes never ever got returned , sold maybe 2 dozen. jics were boomarangs sold 2 sets 2 came back..keep in mind not for surpas mostly nissans.
Stances . build quality is great ride is ok to stiff depending on settings, dampining feels well sorted, back should have been 8 instead of 10 imo, little stiff but much diffrent then jic that were same spring rate.
quick run down
jic flt's 14F 10R
Ksports 12F 6R
Tein flex 12F 6R
Tein SS 15F 7R
Stance 14F 10R

This is all just my opinion I'm not a suspension expert but I have used alot of mk3 suspensions . My freind like the stances also and he was NASA champion of somthing this year lol
hope this helps sombody its a mess , typing one handed wrists broke . cant work 1 month of free time = board

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
I have been running the Tein Flex w/EDFC for a little over a year now. My Supra is a daily driver with my commute taking me into D.C. I have to say the in car adjustability is just great. I can have it at full soft for the city roads and then stiffen it up when I get out and start having fun. Combined with my ST swaybars I think my car handles great; I think it's pretty close to my Father's '08 Vette. Doubling up any exit ramp posted speed limit is no problem.

Last edited:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
SupraMario;1388438 said:
I've run the TIEN SS's and they handle like the car is on rails, they are VERY stiff, so if your looking for comfort don't go with them.
I felt the same way, and I ended up selling mine and buying Tein Flex's. These combined with whiteline sway bars give me both great handling and a comfortable ride. I also run the EDFC for adjustable ride quality.

The spring rate of the SS are 100% stiffer than stock, while the Flex's are 50% stiffer, according to their website.

Turbo Skegget

Jul 27, 2005
Norrtelje
One istall question for Tein Flex. I just mounted them on the car as soon as I got them (havnt driven the car yet). And a friend have been turning on one of the adjusting screws on the top. He doesnt know how many clicks he made 1-16 or if it was clockwise or counterclockwise :( :( Is there anyway to reset them or to know at which level they are at right now??

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I have Tien SS. The ride is great at freeway speed but on the street you feel every little crevice in the road. The spring rates are 16/8, so twice as much than a stock supra. With stock supension and tiens recommended settings im having trouble keeping the ass end comming loose in a corner. If the surface is uneven such as a root under the road the b ack just hops over it . Its to the point where if im in a twisty and i feel the front compress i just automatically countersteer. I also dont like how short the travel is compared to say eibachs.

When i buy a new set of coilovers i will go with the stiff sway, soft spring setup. I got the tiens for cheap so im just dealing with it until i get something better.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
tekdeus;1534931 said:
I felt the same way, and I ended up selling mine and buying Tein Flex's. These combined with whiteline sway bars give me both great handling and a comfortable ride. I also run the EDFC for adjustable ride quality.

The spring rate of the SS are 100% stiffer than stock, while the Flex's are 50% stiffer, according to their website.

How is this setup? I realize its been a while, but this would give me an idea as to quality over a longer period vs (that new thing appeal).
I was thinking of this exact setup, becuase i love the EDFC feature and whitelines are great.
Can you give any comparisons to other cars you have ridden in with different coils? Thanks a bunch

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just looking at the ss they look rather useless. they also look like there adjust the ride height with spring compression which makes you lose shock travel. Wouldnt waste the money.