Suspension feedback for mk3 coilovers?

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
I was looking to get my suspension done before the winter comes. I am parking it during the winter and getting it painted when it comes out. Could anyone help me out with this? General information about the different types and what you gain from each one?

Feedback about your own suspension - if you have pictures of them on too? The fitment on the wheel wells?

Ive been looking at a few,
HKS Hipermax 2
Tein SS coils w/pillow mounts
Ksport
D2 Racing coils

Thanks!

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I've run HKS hipermax II's -- they are without a doubt the best riding coilovers I've ever been on (in any car). They make the MK3 feel like a new BMW. That said, they are not as performance oriented as most other coilovers, so while still far better than stock (or even most lowering spring/shock combos) if you're really wanting the best handling look elsewhere.

I was also the driving force behind getting D2 to make MK3 coilovers. They are a more performance oriented setup, but not in the same quality league as the big-names. They're a great value though, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for excellent handling on a budget.

Haven't tried the others, sorry

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I've run the TIEN SS's and they handle like the car is on rails, they are VERY stiff, so if your looking for comfort don't go with them.

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
I love my Silkroad RM-A8's.. turn the stiffness all the way up i get a tight ride.. turn it all the way down.. i get a smooth ride.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Stiff is not always better... So many people think that because the ride is very stiff/head rattling, that it's optimal for handling. On a track? Yeah, generally. On the street? Not so much.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm using Tien Flex coilovers and I'm very happy with them so far. I especially like the ease of adjustment (settings from 1 (softest) - 16 (hardest)). I was running them at 10 and they were very stiff. Too hard IMO for many Northeast roads. I'm now running them at the 7 setting and I'm very happy. Handling is great but they are still soft enough to not shake every bolt out of my Supra when I hit the numerous potholes out here :)

Here are some pics of them during my installation:

img0358ntg.jpg

sdc10988m.jpg

sdc11002.jpg

sdc11006p.jpg

Last edited:

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
I've got the Tein Flex w/pillowball mount also with the EFDC controller and I really like em. The dampening force is awesome and the ride feel is exceptional. I've had H&R springs and Koyo shocks but they can't compare to the new setup.

You may as well splurge the extra $$ for the controller for me it was a good investment.

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
SupraMario;1388438 said:
I've run the TIEN SS's and they handle like the car is on rails, they are VERY stiff, so if your looking for comfort don't go with them.

Which of your supras in that picture has the Teins on?

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
I think you need to decide what kind of driving you'll typically be doing for us to help you pick a set of coilovers.

Here's my opinion, keep in mind I put on a lot of street/town miles and plan to hit the track quite a bit:

Tein HA, pretty harsh, handle well
Tein Flex, a little too softly sprung
HKS Hipermax, springs too soft for my taste, as well
D2/Megan/KSport/Godspeed- going to bunch them all as budget coilovers. Tend to have aggressive spring rates.
JIC FLT-A1- haven't put any miles on them yet, but spring rates are good and quality is fantastic, hope to have a more detailed review in the next few weeks.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
I'm running the Tein Master Control Flex with EDFC. I think they are great.
I have 3 pre sets on EDFC- 1 softer for the wife, 1 for daily & 1 for very hard
driving days. Change with the push of a button. Had Koni shocks w/ Eibach springs before and this is much better.

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
SWD Fredester 3;1459237 said:
I'm running the Tein Master Control Flex with EDFC. I think they are great.
I have 3 pre sets on EDFC- 1 softer for the wife, 1 for daily & 1 for very hard
driving days. Change with the push of a button. Had Koni shocks w/ Eibach springs before and this is much better.

With the EDFC can you adjust the ride height as well from the controller?

ehletitrain

Sweet Talker
Aug 6, 2009
Downey, CA
www.facebook.com
you dont have to remove them from the car to adjust them. you get a tool that you use torque like a wrench. now i got them on my car with the stock rims. i didnt drop the car that much do you still wanna see them?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
They're supposedly supposed to be some of the best, however I have never actually seen any feedback on them so I don't know.