Surprise surprise

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
I bought my car about 2 months ago and the only thing that alarmed me was the clutch grabbed very violently and made noise when engaging in reverse. He said that he had it changed out with an ACT. He didn’t know much about it. He said that he brought it back and talked with them and they said they had never messed with that brand before. I bought the car because it was a great deal. It is kind of embarrassing whenever u are leaving and everyone is looking when your car farts! I started trying to figure out what the problem was. I found out the clutch is an ACT TS2-HDR6. When I looked it up I found out that it is a 6 pad and is not usually recommended for street uses. I guess I will learn to live with it, even though my car is bone stock!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yeah thats the race disc. does it still have the stock pressure plate or the act heavy duty?

personally, esp considering you are stock, id pull it out and sell it.

if you do keep it, id consider bypassing the neutral safety switch. it isnt healthy on the motor to start the car w/ the clutch pushed in on that setup.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Swap it out for a full face disk if you don't like it. It'll be a great way for you to get to know the Supra! Have fun with the starter bolts. Get someone with Toyota certified Ninja hands to help!

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
When depressing the clutch to start the engine, the pressure from the input shaft, and pressure plate against the non-spinning crank can cause it to walk.

I still haven't bypassed mine yet, I just reach down with my hand and press the button while cranking.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Poodles said:
even the stock clutch on our cars is grabby (reviews back in the day noted this), it takes skill to be smooth...
You thought so?

I never really did, kinda thought it was a little spongy. (Yeah, I had a NEW stock clutch after the first one.)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep, brand new PP and clutch and it's still grabby...

I've driven a few other standard cars and they're not nearly as grab happy...

Slip first (if not it will grab, 1st-2nd is pretty harsh, after that it gets smoother...)

Keep in mind I'm basing this off of OEM clutches, not any aftermarket ones...