Supra's taken a Leak, when it Rains

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Old Fatty has a leak in the hatch. I replaced the hatch seal, but to no avail! I notice water dripping out where the hatch window frame is welded to the hatch deck, and there is rust in that joint.
My plans are to keep the car for a long time... Any suggestions are appreciated. Van

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Didn't you write up an awesome 'how to fix your leaking hatch' thread Grim?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Oh man... I forgot to add that there is no wing, body is an 87 hardtop, and the grommet around the rear wiper arm, isn't leaking. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
GrimJack;1768768 said:
Usual suspects (in order from top to bottom) include:
- Rear wing seals
- Rear wiper seal
- Lower window trim bolt holes
- Hatch seal
- Power antenna seal
- Tail light seals
Ahh... Thanks, Grim.
Yes, the lower trim bolts looked good, no rust there but plenty around that seperation around the joint where the rails and the bottom deck are welded together. I'm now ready to have the hatch window resealed, w/ new trim. I'm getting resistance from local window installers, as they don't really want to tackle the glass w/ the defroster. I'm still looking for a shop in the Portland OR area that can handle the glass, and welding the broken joint. Van

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
The problem with the lower hatch-glass trim isn't the bolts/nuts themselves, but the waterproof sealent they used at the factory to keep water from coming in through the holes in the hatch the trim bolts go through. My trim was in relatively good shape, the nuts firmly holding the trim on with no play or looseness, but water was coming through around the bolts and nuts. If I had to guess that's probably where your problem is coming from, and the installation of your new trim (using suitable waterproofing adhesive on the base of the bolts) ought to remedy it.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
mirage83;1769461 said:
The problem with the lower hatch-glass trim isn't the bolts/nuts themselves, but the waterproof sealent they used at the factory to keep water from coming in through the holes in the hatch the trim bolts go through. My trim was in relatively good shape, the nuts firmly holding the trim on with no play or looseness, but water was coming through around the bolts and nuts. If I had to guess that's probably where your problem is coming from, and the installation of your new trim (using suitable waterproofing adhesive on the base of the bolts) ought to remedy it.
Thanks for the help. I'm having th glass seal replaced, the glass reset and new trim pieces installed, ASAP. I'll ask the installer to do what you said. Van