How many supras have had this problem?

picture.php

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
err... not too many.
MalloyNX's car caught fire years ago on the highway from something, I don't quite remember what.

My Black 90 HardTop has a salvage title due to fire, albeit small, it started in the coilpack apparently, then burned the main harness behind the timing cover, the coilpack cover, of course, and several other things. Was considered a total loss, even though it was a simple repair and a used coilpack from the junkyard was all it took to get it running. Drove it for years after that with no wiring issues whatsoever.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
iwantmkiii (think thats right sn) had one. He said it looked like the braided fuel line hit the alternator +... maye he'll chime in and clarify

There was another one on here that started because the guy ran around with just the DP and the build up of oil on the underside finally caught fire.

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
Mine caught fire twice cause of the alternator.
First the capacitor for my stereo blew up in my trunk and lit the carpet on fire, then i was driving down the highway and the fuse box in the engine bay caught fire causing evry fuse in the car to blow and killing the car.

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
grimreaper;1451137 said:
There was another one on here that started because the guy ran around with just the DP and the build up of oil on the underside finally caught fire.

I heard about that too

which is why you should clean ur underside of oil, especially if you run a divorced dp

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Idk bout yalls areas but the walmarts in my area have abc fire extinguishers for about 11$ there's one in every car i own, supra or not

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
giterboosted;1451668 said:
Idk bout yalls areas but the walmarts in my area have abc fire extinguishers for about 11$ there's one in every car i own, supra or not

Ya, my local hardware store has 'em for $16. Even comes with a little mounting bracket for Auto use.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Mine caught fire from oil spitting out of the dipstick on to the turbo. It was around the time i first got it and knew nothing much about engines so i just drove it like that and it happened several times. When you get a supra is around the time you learn.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
a fellow A70 enthusiaist here in my part of Aus was out drifting on the twisty roads a few years ago and lost control into a dry feild on a hot day - the heat from his exhaust sparked a fire and he had to watch the car burn to the ground, was a genuine TT-R too. Also burnt down about 20 hectares of field with it IIRC.

consequently i went out and bought a fire extinguisher, but ive been too slack to mount it!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've never had a fire myself but I have used up two extinguishers over the years helping put out other peoples cars that I saw burning at the side of the road.

Don't ever roll without one!

I now especially since my build is new and unknown bug can pop up carry one of those medium sized ones around in my passenger seat.

No way in hell I'm gonna let it burn after finally getting it running after all this time.