supra's finally running ... two questions!

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
i just got my supra fixed up!!! yay! after over a year supraless.

two questions...

1) i had the engine refreshed... the block was inspected, looked fine, everything was machined, all the seals and gaskets on the head and transmission were re-done... i'm about 75 mi into the rebuild, and it looks like i'm getting around ~10 mpg. is that normal for after you rebuild a motor? i was getting 17-20 before. i'm not boosting a lot at the moment.

2) i got new targa seals, and was able, with no issuse, to do the ones on the car... the seals on the roof, however, would not come off cleanly. i'm not sure what to do. i have a spare targa, that's on there right now, but it's the wrong color. the seal broke off in the groove, it looks like it melted. i think these were the original seals. question... is this something that toyota could deal with easily? or should i just soldier on myself? I can't see how to fully clean out the grooves. i could just drop the targa off at the dealer and have them fix it. what do you think?

thanks guys!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
10 mpg does not sound good. I would check all of your intercooler pipes and make sure that you dont have any air leaks. Is your engine light on or do you have any codes?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
1) a. How heavy is your right foot these days?
b. Do you know how to check the oxygen sensor?
c. Do you smell gas?

2) Toyota will handle nearly everything. Some smaller dealers may outsource body work.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
my right foot is not heavy at all, nor has it been, ever. besides, i've been taking it easy on the car as i don't want it to break AGAIN 2 days after it's been repaired.

no CEL, no codes, no gas smell.

i will inquire as to whether the 02 sensor was replaced on the refresh, and check the IC pipes.

what kind of mpg should i be getting on normal driving for a turbo?

thanks guys. :)

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Charlie97L said:
looks like the 02 wasn't replaced... if that's bad, could that be the issue?

If it's bad, you would probably get a CEL. But, your mpg would definitly go down with a bad o2 sensor.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
any other ideas?

also, i'm only assuming this MPG based on where the needle is on the gas gauge. i'll just ride out the first two tanks and see what happens.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Pulling the EFI fuse does not diminish the fuel efficiency. All it does is remove long term fuel trim to the original tables, which will net about 18-23 mpg city and highway combined use.

A lazy oxygen sensor will often not store a code, but give you shitty mileage. Drive it easy if the O2 checks out, the mileage should come up if everything is working well. Don't be offended by my asking how you drive. Many kids here have lead foot and wonder why they get 12 mpg.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
What about having a bad knock sensor or bad wiring? I think I read on there that after you complete the wiring job on it you can, "say hello to better gas mileage". Does that sound true?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you have a 52 hard fault, that is where the ECU is not recieving a signal from the sensor, then the ECU has a different strategy in the name of safety.

The timing is pulled, and the mixture richened.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
nick... haha, no i wasn't offended at all by the right foot comment. :)

ok, so i should check the knock sensor, and the o2 sensor? if those are good, what was the "bad wiring" that starscream referred to?

thanks guys!