Supra won't start after mojar rebuild.... Help need

suprasom

Dec 22, 2008
Columbus
I just had complete rebuild on the motor, engine wouldn't crank. starter wouldn't engage the flywheel. tested the starter , works fine. I put everthing back togather , same thing wouldn't start. I double checked all my ground wires and fuses , everthing was fine. the starter tic tacs when you try start it. i also checked the flywheel teeth did see anything wrong with it. I turned the motor by hand couple times , it turn smoothly.. anybody have this problem before ? any suggestion would be appreciated
thanks

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
suprasom;1397407 said:
tasted the starter

How did it taste? i bet like chicken with metal flakes!

so the starter clicks but wont engage? sounds like a trigger wire attenuation issue to me, you may need to do the starter relay mod, same thing happened to me.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76403

So here's what to do

1) no more tasting engine parts

2) can you crank the motor by hand? (you've done this already so skip it)

3) get a multimeter and test battery voltage, if less than 11.5V~ charge it then try again, if above 12V then proceed to step 4

4) check the starter trigger switch wire to see if its connected and not loose. (WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED)

5) check the starter power line (WITH BATTERY DISCONNECTED) it could be grounding and short circuiting the starter

6) do the starter relay mod

Last edited:

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
After my rebuild had the same issue. Come to find out it was the CPS. Had the rotation way off. You Might want to check it and maybe test to see if you have spark!

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
supersupramk3;1397853 said:
After my rebuild had the same issue. Come to find out it was the CPS. Had the rotation way off. You Might want to check it and maybe test to see if you have spark!

he said that his motor isn't actually spinning which indicates a issue with the starting system not the ignition system :)

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
DO you have a aftermarket alarm system? Just thought I ask and eliminate one thing. Do as paradox616 wrote. Definitely something with the starting system, not ign.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hmong_1G;1397942 said:
DO you have a aftermarket alarm system? Just thought I ask and eliminate one thing. Do as paradox616 wrote. Definitely something with the starting system, not ign.

could be, but he says the starter clicks :) could be a relay click or the solenoid in the starter trying to engage in either case shouldn't happen if the alarm is wired correctly and preventing the car from cranking

i still say likely cause is the starter trigger wire :) i hope he reads this =/

suprasom

Dec 22, 2008
Columbus
suprafanatic;1397602 said:
omg.. i cant stop laughing from reading this. if you dont mind i'd like to try a bite!

lol:sarcasm::sarcasm: I was half a sleep when i wrote that. paradox616 thanks for the help. I hope that takes care of my problem.