Supra will no crank sometimes

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Its been happening for a good while now. Sometimes my engine wont crank, it usually happens after I drive it on the highway for 30minutes after I turn off the car sometimes it won start. It usually starts right up after a few miunutes have gone by or after I jiggle the wires from my CPS. Or sometimes it wont start at random times. Sometimes it will start after just turning the key till it starts, sometimes it wont. BTW i always here a click underneath my dash on my passangers side.

Also my CPS is leaking oil internally and the wire that are going to it a pretty hard. I was wondering if this could be my problem? im also getting code 12 which is no RPM signal which is my CPS sensor(I only get this code sometimes). Any ideas? My battery terminals seem to be ok.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The starting issue is the solenoid on the starter. You CAN replace the faulty contacts inside the solenoid, but it's easier to replace the entire starter, and only costs about $60-75 for one w/ warranty.

The CPS has an o-ring around it's base. If you get one from the dealership, you can replace it in about 20 minutes. JUST mark the cps alignment before removing it, or you'll have to re-time the motor at TDC (not really tough, anyway). as for the bad wires, you may just wanna get a replacement CPS, though that'll cost you a bit. Make sure the wires aren't exposed and touching each other on your old one. If they are, separate them, and put a little RTV sealant around the wires to insulate them.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
I had this same problem. It ended up being the starter relay passengers side kick panel. I learned the hard way with a new optima, starter, battery cables and some work. I couldnt find one so I ended up using a 5 pin 30 amp relay and wired it in place. It has been working for a few years now, but you could just go to champion and buy a relay. I needed my car fast as it was my only means of trasportation. Like said above replace the o ring and dust cover gasket whike your at it. Gasket and dust cover for the cps is like $6 dollars.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
Mine clicked. The contacs inside the relay might be worn or melted. Clicking is the sound the relay makes when it is energized. Melted contacts could cause the relay to be energized but no current flow through the contacts or insufficient flow. One easy way to test is get a push button or toggle switch, inline fuse and connector, tap into the line comming off the relay to the starter. When the relay clicks open the hood hit the switch if it starts there's your problem. Or voltmeter on the line coming off the relay to the starter,blue wire on the starter, 12volts while the car is cranking. Thats it

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A clicking relay means squat. All it means is the coil is being energized. Not to mention when everything is working right there are two relays down there that click when the key is held to start. The only way to tell if the starter one is clicking is to go in there and see. That said I agree it's probably his starter contact. Regardless, the thing to do is troubleshoot it correctly rather than throwing parts at the car.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Yes well I found a really lose connection, im fixing it right now. I hope it solves my problems. Thanks guys