supra weight

edowski

Aug 12, 2007
Victoria B.C.
i've been thinking alot about this weight issue. common suggestions are to remove the rear seat and the spare tire, right? won't this cause a severe unbalancement in the car? like the rear end whipping all over the place lol. correct me if im wrong.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Rear seat and back doesn't weigh very much, and neither does the spare. Mow, if you removed say, 300 lbs. + from the rear, and left the front heavy, you might have issues. You want to take most of the weight you can out of the front and center of the car.

Maybe this will help: http://trdsupra.com/library/A70WeightIndex.pdf

Some one's ripped the whole car apart, weighed everything, and posted this up. Enjoy.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
chris717 said:
what could you take off the front? besides the a.c???
oh the link doesnt work for me?////
Install Adobe or shut off pop up blockers, it will open into a .pdf file

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
AGlobalThreat said:

I disagree.

Right or wrong you're entitled to do that. But I have and still continue to agree with IJ on a point like that.

There are better cars to attempt large scale weight savings on. Enjoy the supra for what it is. Not for something it will never be.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
chris717 said:
what could you take off the front? besides the a.c???
oh the link doesnt work for me?////

Front bumper support
Windshield washer tank
Horn
Stock Alarm
Cruise Control
AC Compressor/Condensor/Lines
Lightweight battery/relocate to rear
CF or FG hood
Charcoal canister
Wipers
Lots of other little misc. things you can remove/bypass. Thats all I can think of without crossing the firewall.

Aftermarket suspension is also usually lighter than stock
If you're drag racing you can remove the front sway bar

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Dirgle said:
Right or wrong you're entitled to do that. But I have and still continue to agree with IJ on a point like that.

There are better cars to attempt large scale weight savings on. Enjoy the supra for what it is. Not for something it will never be.

Nobody is right here, it's all just personal opinion. I did not buy the supra for weight reduction, I was going to do it to whatever car I decided upon, which happened to be the supra. I'm a supra lover just like all of you, I just decided to go a different route with mine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AGT: Exactly and I stand by my opinion a Mk3 is a poor choice if you want to build a light weight as even after you've totally gutted it it's still a fat pig ;)

Better to start off with something light then gut that.
(240z springs to mind)

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
I love the Supra for what it is as IJ has said. But, I have removed and relocated weight in my 88 and I must say that it is very noticeable. I weighed the parts that I removed them along with the replacement parts as I completed my last round of mods. My car has shed 150 lbs. even though I added a 4 point roll bar with harness attachment bar. Battery is now an Optima relocated to the spare tire well. Front and rear brakes have been upgraded with Wilwood aluminum calipers and 2 piece rotors. Carpet has been replaced with much lighter carpet from 1A Auto. Rear seat delete. Sparco seats. Sparco steering wheel with HKB hub. Aluminum 1 piece drive shaft. Horsepower Freaks Goliath exhaust. That thing weighed in at 20 lbs. My old HKS was 52 lbs. A-1 rear suspension components. Hell, the driveshaft saved me 20 lbs. You can see how things add up. I have retained my air conditioning and cruise as a Supra needs these amenities.