Supra Steering wheel re-covered!!!

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
I had my wheel done by american-stitches, great work, great price. 87 wheel. to the haters of pre 89, you don't have a clue!

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
bluepearl;921143 said:
I had my wheel done by american-stitches, great work, great price. 87 wheel. to the haters of pre 89, you don't have a clue!

Can we see pics of the finished product and how much did it cost ya? Thanks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like he didn't stretch the leather enough on the center post, loose leather on a steering wheel is....bad

And what's wrong with the wheelskins? They look like they're stock when properly installed, don't move, and make the steering wheel thicker (thicker wheel = easier to hold)

Whole lot cheaper than getting it redone, and no offence to anyone, but loosing the controls on the steering wheel to have an aftermarket wheel is a no-go. Plus I have an 89 with the nice 3 spoke wheel...

p921378_1.jpg

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
190 is too much. period. It is JUST the materials, and taking your time. I know I can't do anything like this, I plain dont have the sewing skills, but, other people who do this for a living wouldn't charge nearly as much, especially with so little material.

Poodles: your dash is chipped up or something, you should black it out and make it nice again. I know it would bug me :p

Last edited:

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Tanya;920733 said:
You could buy a cow, skin it, let it dry, and recover the damn wheel yourself for half the price

Tanya you forgot one thing. One killer bar-b-q! Steaks, Ribs ftw.

KeithH;920742 said:
http://www.american-stitches.com/ - these guys can do Carbon Fiber sections as well as leather. This is where I want to send mine.

Good choice. See pic below

Supra469;921284 said:
Can we see pics of the finished product and how much did it cost ya? Thanks.

this was done at american stitches. You would never be able to tell it wasn't factory.

p921617_1.jpg

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Considering the quality of work done, I doubt most of you will be able to match his end result. Also considering these people probably do this for a living, need to pay bills and such, the price is fair. Let's think this through... $900.00 for a new factory one, $190.00 for this one with a core return, or ???.?? for one you do yourself and will most likely not turn out as well..... Seems obvious to me. Stop bitching you cheap bastards. :3d_frown:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
My god there are some cheap sob's here. Believe it or not, work done by hand, and NOT IN CHINA is going to cost you some coin. $190 for an essentially new wheel is absolutely nothing! I paid over $100 to have mine simply refinished - if I would have known that i could have my wheel re-wrapped this cheaply, i would have certainly done it.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
jugodegolf;921617 said:
Tanya you forgot one thing. One killer bar-b-q! Steaks, Ribs ftw.

Good choice. See pic below

this was done at american stitches. You would never be able to tell it wasn't factory.

p921705_1.jpg

That looks good! If you look at Poodle's pic (no offense man) it looks like poo, because the wheelskin is OVER the original. You've got a 'step' where the spokes are!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Jep, Jugos is a lot better than Poodle's.
Next time I stop by my leather man I'll ask him, how much it'd be recovering the wheel (with about 2x pricier leather, that should be the better and right one for the wheel (more durable)) ;)
Grrr, I'm getting in love with the 89 wheel, why-o-why. Why couldn't I think of it sooner....

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Jugo - Thanks for the pic. I know a bunch of MkII peeps got their wheels recovered there and they turned out great. Glad to see a pic of a MkIII wheel done. Now I just have to decide if I really want to do CF sections or not.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
KeithH;921741 said:
Jugo - Thanks for the pic. I know a bunch of MkII peeps got their wheels recovered there and they turned out great. Glad to see a pic of a MkIII wheel done. Now I just have to decide if I really want to do CF sections or not.

I would say for me no. Check w/someone who did cf armrest/console about comfort and wear and tear. I'd choose comfortable over cool. I'm waiting on my moneytree to bloom so I can do the 92's.