Supra Starting Problem Please Help

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
My 91 supra was having trouble starting It wouldn't crank so my mech told me it it was the starter so he replaced it with a used one from my parts car the car ran great I drove it around for 2 days but on the third day I turned it off and it wouldn't start back up it had the same symptons as before but I was able to push start the car,someone told me they were having similar problems and the replaced their starter with a new one and they still had the same problems until they replaced the ignition switch.Could someone please advise

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
any codes? any sounds when you turn the key? how old was the parts car starter? if you think it's the ignition switch you could always hook up a multi meter and see if it's sending voltage when you turn the key (TSRM or haynes manual)...might take an extra pair of hands.

auto or manual? if you don't hear anything and the lights dim...is the battery dead? try and jump it.....lots of possibilities here....unfortunately.

cleancarct

Jun 10, 2009
East Hartford CT
Nate;1447194 said:
My 91 supra was having trouble starting It wouldn't crank so my mech told me it it was the starter so he replaced it with a used one from my parts car the car ran great I drove it around for 2 days but on the third day I turned it off and it wouldn't start back up it had the same symptons as before but I was able to push start the car,someone told me they were having similar problems and the replaced their starter with a new one and they still had the same problems until they replaced the ignition switch.Could someone please advise

If your mech can bench test the starter then you will know if its good or bad. it sounds like an electrical problem and its most likely the ignition switch. they tend to work intermitently and soon they will leave you for death in a parking lot somewhere. Get that ign. switch checked soon before you think everything is ok when the car starts one last time for you.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
It sounds like your CPS wires. Go pop the hood and wiggle them around a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll start right up.

If that works, put me on your Christmas list and go poke your "mechanic" in the eye and then cut a hole in the bottom of his garbage can when he's not looking.

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
Thanks for the input guys I know its not the cps I dealt with cps issues a few months back and fixed those besides with the cps it will crank but not start right now it won't crank at all lol about the mech

CajunKenny;1447303 said:
It sounds like your CPS wires. Go pop the hood and wiggle them around a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll start right up.

If that works, put me on your Christmas list and go poke your "mechanic" in the eye and then cut a hole in the bottom of his garbage can when he's not looking.

batttz

English Lurker
Aug 28, 2007
Hampshire
There is a starter mod that solves this problem a lot of the time, search for the relay starter mod, good luck with it