Supra Start Up Prob!!

nite_kreeper

Feb 23, 2006
Indiana
my engine cranks over but wont start...injectors arent pulsing and cnat figure out y...it sparks and we get fuel to the rail just not to injectors....HELP!!!!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If you're sure you have spark check for 12 volts at the injector resistor pack. If not, check the ignition switch, wiring, and 30 amp fusible link.

You must have spark during cranking though because without it the ecu will shut the injectors down if it see's you don't.

nite_kreeper

Feb 23, 2006
Indiana
ok update guys....we changed out the engine harness, ecu, all the relays under the hood, distributor, TB/TPS, triple checked the timing, tried it at 180 deg off and managed to get it to backfire a little, tried taking the aftermarket fuel press reg off and installing the stock (nothing), checked every fuse that I can think of, tried resetting the relays behind the kick panel, changed the AFM, changed the big fuse things in the fuse box, and eventually made it around to dumping gas down the TB...

NOTHING made it run.

We were gettin 30psi of fuel pressure, rail is bled out, the injectors aren't firing, I know that's the problem.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Guys, since Wendil here is a newb and doesn't know that grammer is a plus I'll give some input on this since the car is at my shop.

Any who, its a mk2 with a turbo 5mge in it. For all the reasons that I can't figure out, we CAN NOT get the injectors to fire. They do not pulse at all. Currently we've changed from a running car to this one:

-ecu
-main harness
-Fuel pump resistor
-Fuel pump relay
-Fuel box under hood
-All fuses
-tps
-afm
-throttle body
-fuel reg (went from aftermarket Aeromotive to stock thinking it was too much psi at 30)
-Injectors
-Distributor
-Checked for continuity on all engine related fuses and circuit breakers/relays
-Installed more than 5 ground wires

When you crank the engine, and insert a meter into the injector harness plug of any injector, it only reads .10 of a volt.

Beyond what I've stated, Im seriously lost. I've never had any thing like this stump me before.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
What the heck is "grammer?" ;)

So it's not a 7M? Would've been nice to know that in the beginning. So were talking conventional EFI and not TCCS.

Can't help, don't have any prints of that setup. Still, as far as I know Toyota conventional EFI works pretty much the same way. You have to have power, RPM, and some sort of crank angle signal to the ecu. The main EFI relay must be stay closed too. Time to break out a labscope me thinks. With all the swaps you've done it almost sounds like a wiring issue.

Fwiw Toyo conventional EFI is based on the Bosch M Tronic. Does it run when given a shot of starting fluid?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
jetjock said:

So it's not a 7M? Would've been nice to know that in the beginning. So were talking conventional EFI and not TCCS.

Can't help, don't have any prints of that setup. Still, as far as I know Toyota conventional EFI works pretty much the same way. You have to have power, RPM, and some sort of crank angle signal to the ecu. The main EFI relay must be stay closed too. Time to break out a labscope me thinks. With all the swaps you've done it almost sounds like a wiring issue.

Fwiw Toyo conventional EFI is based on the Bosch M Tronic. Does it run when given a shot of starting fluid?

It "flutters" lol.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
nite_kreeper said:
seriously tho...if any1 knows wat is wrong wit my car dat would b sweet 2 kno..
If you dont know how to use the TSRM and troubleshoot, you should take it to somebody that knows how. This will cost you money.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
jetjock said:

The 5M-GE uses a TCCS ECU AFAIK. Well the later ones do anyways I think. I never really looked into it extensively.

As far as the injectors go, the 5M-GE uses a 2-channel injector setup (3-injectors per signal pulse from ECU), there is +12V applied to one side of the injectors and the ECU grounds the other side. There is an injector resistor between the EFI Main Relay No. 2 and the injectors, but you should still be reading ~12V to them.

If you're only getting ~0.1V to the injector clips, I would suggest replacing the injector resistor. It basically goes +12V -> Ign Switch -> EFI Main Relay No. 2 -> Injector Resistor -> Injector clips -> Injectors -> ECU.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
You're right. I looked it up. There's an overlap but from mid 83 onward they used TCCS. Still sounds like a wiring problem to me. The way to solve these kinds of issues is best done by signal tracing. Too bad he doesn't have a CPS simulator. They're not expensive and handy to have in these cases.

Sounds like he's across the injectors so I don't think he'll get 12 vdc. He needs to reference a good ground to check the hot side. Should have +12 on one injector pin and battery negative for example.

On another note, Wedil's grammar seems to be fading fast ;)

nite_kreeper

Feb 23, 2006
Indiana
jetjock said:
You're right. I looked it up. There's an overlap but from mid 83 onward they used TCCS. Still sounds like a wiring problem to me. The way to solve these kinds of issues is best done by signal tracing. Too bad he doesn't have a CPS simulator. They're not expensive and handy to have in these cases.

Sounds like he's across the injectors so I don't think he'll get 12 vdc. He needs to reference a good ground to check the hot side. Should have +12 on one injector pin and battery negative for example.

On another note, Wedil's grammar seems to be fading fast ;)

ha yea sorry guys just keepin things simple

nite_kreeper

Feb 23, 2006
Indiana
when it runs u have to keep it n high rpm or itll just die down, and im running my stock fuel pressure regulator, i was thinkin like it wasnt getting enough fuel pressure but jon martindale is runnin his stock fpr...so i dunno